HybridZ

Rear end noise (wheel bearing?)

SUNNY Z

Ok, so I have a noise coming from the passengers rear of the car, only when I turn left. It is generally noticeable at speeds 20+. It only does it when i swerve to the left (loading the right side), which makes me think its the wheel bearings. Any insight?

FWIW, I jacked the car up today, and checked the wheel bearing. It has some play, so I'm going to replace it.

Question:

How do you guys tighten the companion flange to the stub axle when re-installing? I've had a hell of a time getting it tight enough. Thoughts?

Edited by SUNNY Z

If on-car, use big 24" bar-o-steel (2" angle will do) with two 1/2 holes drilled at wheel stud spacing. Bolt to hub, other end on ground. Add 24" pipe to 1/2 drive torque wrench handle to tighten said stub nut. With car up in air on jack stands, this degree of torque application can move the car, be careful...

If on bench, put that angle iron attached to hub in a big vise or C-clamp it to the bench and torque away. Have 5 friends stand on bench if not a big bench.

Liberal anti-seize. Huge torque 300# wrench borrowed from machinist friend, me under car, daughter in car stomping brake pedal as hard as she can to keep tire from turning. Increase torque in steps of 20# - stop at 200# torque. Praying whole time because it feels like something is gonna break or socket is gonna slip off.. My work bench pulls off the wall too easily to use my vice. I need a a bigger house to hold it down.