HybridZ

Steering wheel horn switch

noelawinslow

So I replaced some wiring of my steering column, but I must have missed something. The horn won't sound. And I can't seem to find any sort of button or switch to close the circuit to the horn anywhere... <_<

I used the same colors that were in place initially, so if you guys could point out the wires for the horn switch or see anything I did wrong, it'd be helpful! I did some searching already but it seems like nobody else has had this issue.

I have a couple pictures below.

2HsEM.jpg

BqICp.jpg

x5LVq.jpg

WAOCk.jpg

ZvnC1.jpg

Also, it's my first post! :D I've been lurking and learning from you guys for months now, and I finally bought myself a '78 280z. Thanks for such an awesome forum!

If it helps any to know, I've removed the dashboard for a gauge modification (that will be going up here if it's successful! I can barely see the gauges with stock lighting) so if that is part of the horn assembly there's my answer!

Don't know what kind of steering wheel you're using, but the horn is activated when the horn button completes a ground circuit. Should be one black wire connected (via thin female blade connector) to a rotating disc at the base of the steering wheel. Looks a lot like the black wire at the 4 o'clock on your first picture.

Hope this helps.

Don't know what kind of steering wheel you're using, but the horn is activated when the horn button completes a ground circuit. Should be one black wire connected (via thin female blade connector) to a rotating disc at the base of the steering wheel. Looks a lot like the black wire at the 4 o'clock on your first picture.

Hope this helps.

So in my third picture, that leaf spring that connects to the wheel is part of the horn button? I can't seem to find this female blade connector anywhere. It's the stock '78 wheel, so nothing should be out of the ordinary.