HybridZ

3.1l 280zx..

Guest Anonymous

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Ross, sorry if I mislead you a little. I'll post the info about octane/boost out of "maximum Boost" This is the curve for 92 octane gas, not intercooing. You'll likely want to plot it.

Boost pressure vs. compression ratio (92 octane)

15psi/Cr:7 (to 1)

12psi/Cr:7.3

9psi/Cr:7.9

6psi/Cr:8.7

3psi/Cr:10

Plot those numbers and you'll have an idea how octane and CR relates.

I know its not exactly what you are asking, but there are other variables. (temperature, head design, etc) I have graphs for 100 and 120 octane too if you'd like to see them.

If you look at the numbers I gave you, and take a stock 280zx (at 7.4:1CR) you see that ideally you could run about 12psi boost on 92 octane without intercooling.

I really can't recommend "maximum boost" enough to anyone. It covers everything turbo related and is written excellently. Most of you guys have your JTR bible for the V8 swaps, (I have that too) I'd have to say maximum boost is the bible for anything turbo.

------------------

"Gimme Fuel,

Gimme Fire,

Gimme that which I desire"

-Metallica

Drax240z

1972 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

In the latest (DEC 2000) Grassroots Motorsports magazine, Corky Bell has an article on turbo hop ups where he says:

"The lowering of the engine's compression ration can remove heat, too. This is a last resort, as it tends to produce an unresponsive slug if done to excess. Never, but never, consider anything under 8:1."

BTW, it's a good article (definitely too short) and a good magazine with lots of tech stuff every month. This month they did an article on engine swaps in general. Very interesting.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@home.com">pparaska@home.com -

thanks Drax, just the baseline I needed to see in my head....yeah graphs...was doing Peak Ground Acceleration/Probability graphs earlier today..oops sidebar

Great stuff, I haven't got to reading Corkies part in Dec. GRM although I did read that engine swapper, good detail on some but poor detail on chevies.

I'm tried to avoid becoming edjumacated on turbo builds as I have enough on the go but gotta keep my non-net friends having fun so keep it coming:-)

I think a FAQ could be v. well written by the 64 posts and counting written here...(couldn't possibly be as long to print off as this:-) "potential L28 Turbo builds ins/outs"

Anyone want to take that one on?? I've come across 2 likely SDS buyers for late winter to early spring FWIW (non-net again). (I think the FAQ proposed if completed could add some buyers towards achieving a GP)

Funny how the 280zxt comes with a 7.4:1 stock compression ratio. I've had my head shaved .010" and am using a 1mm head gasket, so I am hoping that will sufficently raise things.

Mike (Scca) was trying to organize a group SDS purchace, haven't heard much more about it though. I'm in if its going to happen!

As for the article, I think I might try to whip something up. I'll do it as a tech article on this site... Though it won't really be complete until my engine is done. I can take the theory and put that into an article, but for actual results I'm going to have to wait. (I suppose I could append later though) Maybe I can find out what I need to know from the other L28 turbo's running around.

I'll get the ball rolling on that in the next day, but I usually do things to excess, so it may take me a bit of time. smile.gif

------------------

"Gimme Fuel,

Gimme Fire,

-Metallica

Drax240z

MSA's turbo cam's specs:

#10-0921, Lift: .460in/.440ex, Dur: 260in/250ex

#10-0922, Lift: .460in/.460ex, Dur: 270in/260ex

Both kits run $159.00, and I believe include new springs, lash pads and rockers. Seems like a pretty reasonable price actually!

I am woefully under-educated when it comes to cams... I know what the numbers mean and the theory and everything, but not exactly how the numbers effect performance... Can anyone shed some insight into these 2 grinds?

------------------

"Gimme Fuel,

Gimme Fire,

-Metallica

Drax240z

Guest Fast Frog

Yeah!!!

I do believe Schnieder grinds these cams and MSA has been selling them for 7 or 8 yrs. I've got an old Schneider catalog and I don't think they're turbo cams-the duration is way to long! MSA was selling them back then as aftermarket cams as an upgrade to a stock NA cam. BE CAREFUL!!! Whoever you use as your cam grinder-Crane, Competition, Lunati, Webb, Schneider, Crowler, Gude, et.al.-get a cam that specifically ground for turbo application!! Their catalogs will usually identify them as turbo cams!!

Guest Fast Frog

Drax240Z:

Drax, Great info on boost vs CR!! I had some info I was going to share with the forum from an artical in the Nov '94 issue of Turbo and Hi Tech mag by Michael Ferrara but your stuff looks more comprehensive and to the point. Can you tell me the exact month and year of Maximum Boost mag you got your info?

Thanks, Rick

PS: Does the Max Boost mag cover superchargers also??

[This message has been edited by Fast Frog (edited November 03, 2000).]

Guest Anonymous

ok, first sights on a turbo engine are gone.. engine was sold.. looked like a great deal to.. time to call the junkyards to see if i can get a turbo engine as well as a 300zx rear end [and a new 5-spd] but i got another queastion.

in my other posts ive listed things that should be the first thing to get. i know a BOF [or pop off?] is a first, exhaust, ram air, but what else? i want to just get enough mods to make it a little faster then stock, but keeping it cheaper and simpler in the begining [remember i gotta do the rest of the car also] and then later on upgrading the fuel system, turbo, intake, etc.. thanks.

Hey Fast Frog. Maximum Boost is actually a book, not a magazine. Its published by Bently Publishers... If you have used Bently books before you'll know how high quality they are. I am sure you could order it from amazon.com or some other large bookstore. It'll run you aroung $30 though.

Tough luck on the engine Euro, but you'll find another. Look for a complete car that is running! I too am doing my buildup in stages.

I am starting with the SDS, BOV, cold air intake, fuel system upgrade (bigger line and pump), 3" exhaust, and a good rebuilt of the engine... I feel that's a pretty good starting point. From there I will follow the stages I had posted earlier.

------------------

"Gimme Fuel,

Gimme Fire,

-Metallica

Drax240z

Okay guys, this has gotten so long i feel the need to throw my .02 in!

Euro, where are you located first off....

My cars coming together really fast as of right now. My adapters are done for my rims, coilovers are in the box and my machine work will be done on my motor by thanksgiving. That gives me 9 days to work myself like a slave to get as much done as possible (im really excited!)

Okay but im in the same turbo motor boat as you euro. BUT i have a 240, so i had to swap gastanks. Install a fuel pump, and .5 inch hard lines up to the engine compartment. Thank god thats done, what a pain!

Seems to me like we are on the same track here dude as far as parts and goals go. Everyone is right on with the information! And i have to reccomend the corky bell book once again! Its great. My turbo is a tad undersized, id like to swap exhaust housings for something larger but this turbo will do fine for now!

I have an article over on zdriver.com with details on my parts list. You will need most of that stuff. Thats a list i composed after talking with all the zgods on the net smile.gif

I wish you best of luck man!

Have fun- Evan

Guest Anonymous

Evan, What tank did you install & how big is the fuel line? If it came out of a later Z please let me know what year & what was involved with installing it. Thanks in advance.

Glenn

Guest Anonymous

thanks evan, you already know that i like your car [from my zcar.com post smile.gif ] and its cool that this thread has helped you out a bit.. i will go take a look at zdriver.com and see what you got going on over there [ive probably already seen it] and hopefully get a better understanding on what i need.

things are gonna delay my turbo project for a bit, but sometime soon ill get it started.

i live in indiana and am always looking for other z'ers around.