HybridZ

aftermarket headunit installation

8DC

I'm trying to install an aftermarket headunit in my glovebox using the stock wiring. The Scosche wiring harness that I bought, which says that it's for this car ('76 280z) doesn't come close to mating with the existing wiring harness, so I'm trying to wire it up manually.

Going into the stock headunit there are 6 wires.

1)solid white

2)white w/black stripe

^these two are the speaker wires that wire to the car's single rear stock speaker

3)solid blue that has constant power

4)solid black that I would have assumed to be a ground, but has power when the key is on

5)red w/blue stripe that has power when the key is on

6)green w/white stripe that has power when the key is on

This does not include the antenna wiring, which is a separate plug on my car to a switch to manually raise and lower it (not sure if they used this setup on all years).

Could someone who has done this before tell me what wires I hook up to where on the wiring that came with my Pioneer headunit? The manual is no help because it just details how to replace the stock unit (basically unplug the old and plug in the new) and the wiring diagram for this part of the car is incomprehensible to me.

Not a direct answer to your question but....

Google "pioneer audio wiring diagram" and a ton of pictures will appear showing you what each wire on the head unit is for.

Go to http://www.xenons30.com/reference.html and download the factory service manual for your model year to find the wires that connect to the head unit.

Good luck!