HybridZ

T56 Tremec vs Borg advice?...excuse my n00b-ness

gr8gatzby

I've done some searching and it sounds like Tremec bought BW and both have ups and downs, but overall the T56 is stout regardless of Tremec or BW. Is there much difference in the two though - size and adapters mainly; any cost difference for shafts/housings/adapters? Can I use the same clutch plates? I'm planning on running a 1998 LS1 from a corvette. There happens to be a 2006 BW T56 from a Mustang available near me for $1000, so just want to know if I should pull the trigger and if anyone has done this before? I see a few people on here that have LT1s with BW T56s, but not sure about LS1s. I have a good trans shop that will open it up and inspect before I buy for a very small fee also.

Again, I apologize if this has been asked before. Please point me in that direction if you could be so kind. Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the reply. I would need a new bell housing no matter what I'd think? Most of the transmissions being sold locally don't seem to have them attached. I figured the input shaft would be different too, but that can be done for under $200. Sounds like the clutch plates are specific to tremec and BW as well.

What 2006 mustang came with a T56???? I don't think any mustangs got the T56 besides the 03-04 cobras. The 05-10 GT's still had 5 speeds, and when they brought back the GT500 it got a TR6060 like the new 2010+ SS Camaro. So you might check and make sure its a T56 and not a whatever 5 speed came in the GT's. And if it is a T56, I bet its out of a 03-04 cobra. Also Tremec bought out Borg-Warner in ~98 I think, so that tranny cant be a BW.

-Will