HybridZ

Installed new mustache bar, now whining?

Indey

First and foremost the car is a 76 280z with a long nose R200, the front diff mount is still in good shape, however my stock mustache bar ripped so I had to replace it and I figured why not upgrade at the same time so I picked up the AZC bar.

I put the AZC Mustache bar on my car last night, got it back on the ground and went for a drive, now I'm hearing a sort of whining noise, that gets louder as I increase in speed. It sounds to me as though the driveshaft is rubbing on the sway bar.

However I'm wondering if I can just hear the differential more now because of the mustache bar. So put simply.. if anyone has any experience with aftermarket mustache bars (particularly the AZC one) did you get any increased noises after install?

The noise could be just the urethane bushings more tightly mounted in the new bar transmitting differential noise.

But please explain the "ripped" mustache bar. Pictures would be good.

Ripped is more of a loose term really, it cracked, but in my mind I kind of equated it to someone ripping, say a piece of paper. Here's a pic of it though

IMAG1320.jpg

Not quite sure what caused it to start tearing like that...but it did, and then being the ultra self proclaimed genius that I am, launching the car one night seemed like a brilliant idea. which cause it to go from a small tear, to what you see there.

Regardless, the more research I do the more I hear about the mustache bar's transmitting noise. I suppose that I just didn't initially expect it to be quite as obvious. However I also noticed that if I'm not particularly paying attention to it, I don't really hear it.

Edited by Indey

Ah the joy of solid mounted suspension and driveline components and poly bushings. They always expound on the improved handling and bling factor, but neglect to mention the part about there being just the slightest bit extra noise for all to enjoy, like diff whine, bearing noise, u-joint and spline play clank, and the sound of running over every little dang crack and pebble in the road. Welcome to progress!

Better get used to it, with the AZC bar, there's no going back to rubber M-Bar bushings....