HybridZ

Project 910R

rayaapp2

So Ive purchased a new project. Or rather traded my 95 BMW 525i for an 82 910 diesel. Im a little crazy so that should shed light on that trade. The wagon has to be the cleanest 82 Maxi I have ever seen. Nice light blue paint and good interior. The LD28 still runs strong and is getting about 40mpg! I have several L28et's I could choice from to swap in, but I think it would be easier to start with something that is already a front sump. The RB20det was my first choice as it practically bolts in, but Ive sourced an RB25 NEO6 for the same price with an RB20 trans. I was thinking about trying to find the autobox for the RB as the Maxima is currently an automatic like most diesel Maximas and the swap would be simplified, but the manual trans for the RB20 is abundant in these parts.

The LD is going to be pulled and saved for a 240Z project in the distant future when my L28 gives up the ghost.

I already have a few turbo manifolds and several turbos to choose from when that day comes.

For now though Im going to start making a hybrid910 which I am calling as the title states 910R. I plan on picking the motor up next saturday if all works out. If I can get some answers from the Maxima forums I plan on starting the suspension first, followed by the brakes, and then the engine swap which is the opposite of what I did with my 260ZR. I saved some lowering springs from a 1983 280zxt and brand new shocks from that car that Im hoping will fit the maxima, but Im not sure yet. I think some helper springs and lowering blocks aught to take care of the rear end.

imagejpeg_0_2.jpg

imagejpeg_0_3.jpg

Wish me luck Ill post as make progress.

Ray

EDIT:

Couldnt help myself. Installed the front lowering springs already. Dropped the front about 2.5"! and I havent even settled them out yet.

Edited by rayaapp2

• 2 weeks later...

2012-09-23122100_zps6a3adc2f.jpg

2012-09-23122105_zps575d2df3.jpg

Motor is here,

I need a few bits to get it going still.

On the list of needed parts are:

Fuel pump

driveshaft for the automatic transmission, apparently the RB20 and RB25 manual transmission have a different driveshaft, but the automatic transmissions from these is also different and will not work with either manual gear box options.

radiator hoses

Boost control solenoid

New fuel rail as the one on the motor is damaged

PS line adapters

custom turbo downpipe

custom exhaust

and a universal throttle cable

My list will probably grow, but I think that most of it for now to get me running.

I already have Profec B II ready to go in. I also have a Freddy manifold, 6SR stock manifold replacement, apexi filter, HKS turbo intake, and a N1 water pump. I plan on running it mostly stock for now, but Ill likely use a Synapse BOV, bigger intercooler, and some other things later like I did on my 260ZR build as money permits.

Edited by rayaapp2

Maxima wagons are super cool.

Don't forget the 300zx four lugs that can be had for free quite often.

225/50-15 work well on that car.

This one was a 5 speed with turbo hardware from a 280zx and a R200.

I compared the clutch pedal with one from a S12 200sx and they were nearly identical in most every dimension.

8023621420_f1ef415bff_c.jpg

Edited by HowlerMonkey

Maxima wagons are super cool.

Don't forget the 300zx four lugs that can be had for free quite often.

225/50-15 work well on that car.

Thanks for the S12 tip! Ill see if I can find one in the junk yard! That would simplify my swap a ton! Wiring up an auto trans from a 99 isnt bad, but there are a ton of wires to run, and the driveshaft has to be modified!

Z31 wheels? Maybe. Im probably gonna go with a set of 16" Enkei's a local member has stored away. I wish my 15" enkeis hadnt been mutalated on my 260z when it was hit. I was gonna save them for the next project when I put the expensive wheels on it. oh well. 225/50R15 would have been great. Ill have to hunt for something similar in 16" now.

Any tips on brakes?

The rears are getting calipers and rotors and I already have most of that from a 200sx. The front though needs addressed. The stock brakes are barely adequate with the diesel. The car has a brand new brake system on it. The PO replaced everything but the lines, though they messed up one of the shims on the right front wheel and the pads make noise once in a while now. The fronts appear to be pretty much the same as 280ZXT, but spaced differently. That is the piston size and pad size appear to be very close. There isnt much on the 2 forums I know of that is helpful in upgrading the brake system. Nothing appears to bolt over or even be remotely adaptable because of the spacing. I wish the 280zxt front struts would mate to the Maxima control arms. I dont have a set of 280zxt control arms left or I would have tried to fit those as well and ran the whole ZX front struts. There are brake options for those.

It's possible that the infiniti M30 rear control arms are identical.

I can take pics with some measurements of the arms I picked up to do the 5 lug conversion but dad is in town with his plane so it's flying time.

If I can, I will take measurements of the front struts to see if they are of similar dimension.

As far as the driveshaft, the 240sx and M30 both have two piece driveshafts and the maxima had about 4 different versions so you might be able to find the "front half" that will bolt in to your existing "rear half" of your driveshaft and avoid cutting anything.

If you do need to cut, I recommend simply having a driveshaft shop make you a 1 piece shaft with the parts on each end that fit what you have.

The aussiebluebirds site has some good information on brakes.

It's possible that the infiniti M30 rear control arms are identical.

I can take pics with some measurements of the arms I picked up to do the 5 lug conversion but dad is in town with his plane so it's flying time.

If I can, I will take measurements of the front struts to see if they are of similar dimension.

As far as the driveshaft, the 240sx and M30 both have two piece driveshafts and the maxima had about 4 different versions so you might be able to find the "front half" that will bolt in to your existing "rear half" of your driveshaft and avoid cutting anything.

If you do need to cut, I recommend simply having a driveshaft shop make you a 1 piece shaft with the parts on each end that fit what you have.

The aussiebluebirds site has some good information on brakes.

well the wagon is a H190 from what I can tell so its not the IRS like the sedan. So the M30 rear control arms wont work. I think Im going to try and stick with the 4 lugs unless I have to go five in the front for brake options in which case Ill probably drill the rears. The front struts are mostly the same as 280zx but the ball joint is the different enough that they will not bolt back and forth. If you have a 280zx control arm maybe see if that fits the maxima. If it does I can just find a set around here and use the front 280zxt struts I have already, then brake options open up. As for the driveshaft I dont yet know for sure, but Im guessing its the same as the rb20 manual yoke I have already. I believe its a direct fit for the manual trans, but it wont work with the automatic. The stock wagon is a single piece driveshaft. If I can find the manual conversion bits before I get to the swap then I dont have to do anything to the driveshaft. It basically bolts in with the RB20 mounts I picked up. My only need for fabrication at that point is the turbo downpipe which will hit the steering shaft.

Ill check out the aussiebluebirds site and see whats up.

I stripped out the harness on the NEO6 yesterday and labeled most of the wires. I had a hard time finding the wiring schematics, and the ones I did find from the FSM do not label wire colors. So I had to trace everything from the ECU pins. I did find I am missing a few ends to make this run. Well at least run and be complete. I did not know the NEO6 is a LEV motor! Im missing the boost sensor and boost control solenoid. So Im hunting those down right now. The MAF harness was cut so I have to repair that. Luckily I keep Nissan harnesses around when they are cut up for parts so I have the connector! The only part thats gonna set me back on the engine right now is the fuel rail. The feed line is bent and snapped off. Im going to take it into work and try and get it brazed but Im worried that since its not a clean break Ill end up getting a bad seal or possible getting brass filler into the tube causing a small restriction. Why did NEO engines have to have a one off fuel rail?

Other than some of the weird wiring and other NEO only bits I like this motor a lot more than the S2 in my 260Z. For one it has solid lifters not hydraulic so buying an off the shelf performance cam is easy. I need to check but there is a rumor these engines had an oil pump collar installed from the factory and a better oil pump. The ign coils are also NEO only so Im hoping they are better than the previous S1 and S2 coils that always end up failing. Im not sure what I will do if these coils give me the same issues as the S2 did.

Thats all for now

Ray