HybridZ

240z grinding when put in reverse

Z is my first

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTBiQWAm4ck&feature=youtu.be

Please tell me what's going on! If it's the clutch slave cylinder than can you clearly tell me how to adjust it.

my thanks,

Devon

p.s. There should be a video/link above

If not then this is what's happening.

My Z is finally fixed!.. Well so I thought. Everytime I try to put it in reverse it grinds and it is difficult to put in other gears.

Does the clutch slave cylinder need adjusting? And if so how? Please explain clearly! Thanks.

Edited by Z is my first

Is this happening when the car is rolling or totally still? Reverse is probably not synchromeshed so car must be totally still. I've had some cars that would grind going into reverse unless I selected another gear first. I don't know if that lines something up or what but if I went into say fourth gear then went into reverse it went in without grinding. Try something like that. To adjust the slave, you just adjust the threaded rod that goes between the slave and the clutch fork. Usually you want to lengthen it.

Is this happening when the car is rolling or totally still? Reverse is probably not synchromeshed so car must be totally still. I've had some cars that would grind going into reverse unless I selected another gear first. I don't know if that lines something up or what but if I went into say fourth gear then went into reverse it went in without grinding. Try something like that. To adjust the slave, you just adjust the threaded rod that goes between the slave and the clutch fork. Usually you want to lengthen it.

It is still. I don't dare to take it for a test drive till' I fix the grinding and buzzing. And yes, I've tried putting it into another gear. I believe that adjusting the slave will fix it, but I am just not sure how. I'll go try to lengthing it and see if it works. I'll let you know ASAP.

Thank you!!!

Go to carfiche.com and download the factory service manual. The 70 and 71 had an adjustable slave. 72 and later did not, although you can adjust the linkage at the pedal. Do it wrong and you'll have issues, so get the FSM.

When a clutch master or slave goes bad, grinding into reverse is the first sign. If this problem starts getting worse and worse, that's what I would check. Pull the rubber boot back on both, and if clutch fluid drips out, then you need to replace them. Most shops do both at the same time, FWIW.