HybridZ

ARP Rod Bolts usage

Ben's Z

I just spoke with a competent friend of mine who mentioned when I bought up I bought ARP rod bolts for my L28ET that I would need to have my rods resized. When I got to the machine shop shortly thereafter the manager said in some cases this is true. My friend primarily builds high performance small and big block V8's. The machinist at the machine shop also said they need to be resized. Do I need to put on all the rod caps, torque to spec and then take them in to be resized?

Are they referring to Big End or Bolt Hole resizing?

On the old ones, you had to ream new Bolt bores. On the 'wave lock' style they are a direct replacement.

Though checking rods for twist, big and small end diameter, C to C, and having them sized is a good idea, and relatively cheap.

Edited by Tony D

There is the possibility the pilot on the stud changes...

But that exists with Nissan Rod Bolts as well. It's not an ARP specific issue, you should do it whenever you change the rod fasteners. That was the point I was making, that it wasn't just with the ARP's, it's with all of them!

The additional step of reaming the rod bolt holes was once necessary before ARP made dedicated fasteners for the L-Gata!