HybridZ

Heater intermittent

My heater seems intermittent. It's hard to describe, hence my inability to Google for it. When the car is on, engine not started, the blower motor will move at full speed, and when the car is on, engine running, the blower motor slows down drastically. I also have an issue with the heater intermittently running. When I drive, there's a strange sound occurring around 2500~3500 rpm, like a rapid blow off of pressure coming from somewhere under my passenger side. I can't quite figure out where to start looking because it only happens when driving, and when this sound occurs, the cabin temperature drops. This only happens when the heater is on, when I switch to AC, the sound disappears.

Could anyone point me in the right direction? Are these two issues stemmed from the same source?

Does the car run hot ? Have you done anything related to cooling system ? Check your coolant level . If coolant is low or air trapped in the system , it could cause engine to run hot and rushing water noise in heater core . Blower motor problem could be cause by drain from other components or add-ons . Check to see if anything else uses power from blower motor circuit .

My car is a 78 2+2 280z. The car runs at proper temperature, and coolant/water mixture is at the proper level. I'm gonna check additional circuits for the blower, but the only major add-on that is electrical is my stereo, which uses stock wiring. The sound stops if I pass 3500 rpm or drop down to around 2000, and the heat comes back on, but that's where I like to keep my car at while driving.