HybridZ

I-6 valve adjustment

ninja240z

I have both repair manuals clymer and haynes. Reading them, the two both give different info for adjusting the valves. I also suspect that the either the crank shaft pulley or the distributor is off. Previous owner had engine rebuilt by heaven only knows. Does anybody know a fool proof way to make sure of the correct position of the cam shaft lobes in relation to top dead center mark on the crank shaft and rotor pointing to #1 on the distributor? This task was alot easier on other cars that didn't have the engine rebuilt. I also would like to know if the adjusting nuts on the valves are usually very hard to turn. Thanks!!!

------------------

Here he comes, here comes speedracer! He's a demon on wheels!

Talking to some experts I found out that in the history of car, somebody had replaced the oil pump without aligning it up. As a result the position of the rotor was off by one. I don't know how this car stayed running, because the distributor plug wires were at the correct position. I will probably move the wires down one. Maybe pull the oil pump and align later.

------------------

Here he comes, here comes speedracer! He's a demon on wheels!