HybridZ

6cyl questions!!

v8dats

hello to everyone.i have a couple of quetions on the 6 cylinder performance.

what is an n42 head?a p90?how can i tell what year 5 spd tranny does the car have?the reason i am asking is because im about to buy another zcar!it has a wide body kit in front and backand a g-nose.it also has 16x8 inch rims with descent tires.the whole car is fiberglass exept for th doors and the cowl.oh yeah,it also has tripple webbers and the owner said it has a big cam.the car will light up the tires for about three or four mailboxes!he also said that with the head that he has in the car and a 280 block would be awsome.any tips,help,nonos?ill try to post some pics when i bring the car home.

Well I see you are in florida, that may be good news. Usually fiberglass body panels are used to replace rusted ones. Make sure that you don't get caught up in all the extras the car has, and not actually have a STRONG, rust free car. Check it out, you'll kick yourself in the long run if you don't.

N42 and P90 are both casting numbers for heads. You can check the casting numbers by looking between the #1 and #2 spark plug holes.

Check out http://www.zhome.com , and http://www.mindspring.com/~blittl/ZGarage.html for some more information.

------------------

Richard Lewis

1972 240z - L28TURBO transplant ongoing!

Drax's 72 240Z Turbo

An N42 head is the early 280Z head. Has similar combustion chamber volume to the '71-'72 E88 heads. On an L28, this head will give 8.3:1 compression with dished (280Z) pistons and 9.8:1 (now that's more like it!) with flat-top 280ZX pistons. Probably the best stock head for an NA L28, as it's the only L-series head that offers decent compression, has the bigger valves, and doesn't have the hated round exhaust ports with their evil liners.

The P90 head was used on ZX turbos. Generally considered to be a good head with good combustion chamber design, but it has a ton of cc volume. 8.5:1 is all you'll get with flat-top pistons, 7.4:1 with dished. It's the head to have for a turbo, though.

Dan Baldwin

'71 240Z 3.1 (N42 head)

COMSCC #7 SPB

Guest Fast Frog

Another good head choice would be a P79. This is a ZX non-turbo head. With flat top pistons, it gives 8.8 to 1 +/- cr. We put this head on my son's 76Z that was bored out .020 over. Nice snappy response!!

well im buying it from a guy that i have known for a while and he said that it was made for racing but it was never raced!i looked under the car and it had an r200 (on a 74?)it does has a small set of rollbars.the rear window is made of lexan(on fiberglass hatch)the fenders arent stock appearence so i guess they weren't put on for rust problems.the front ones are flared about 3inches outward and the rear are about 4.the actual fender is wider not the wheelwell.im trying to post some pics.it kinda looks like one of the kits that that kitcar place sells. its the red one with the tubbed out look.he also said that it has a close ratio tranny from a certain year car,is there such thing? any questions? answers?