HybridZ

Ignition Cuts Out While Driving

Having a problem with my 72 completely stock l24 other than a Crane xr-700 electronic ignition. I will be driving and the ignition will just cut out and leave me stranded on the side of the road. There will be times where it will drive like a champ for a week then screw me over the next day. Last time I drove it, it was wanting to cut out but then it seemed like spark kicked back in and let out some gnarly back fires. This leads me to believe it is ignition. I plan and changing out plug wires, ignition coil, cap and rotor, and check all my connectors just to single things out. But as of right now I almost feel like it's the Crane xr-700.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had problem with ignition momentarily cutting out on me after upgrading the ignition in my 72 to electronic with a high powered coil. I found that the spark plugs were carbon fouling. So I switched to a one step hotter plug. The problem went away completely. I went from the stock NGK BPR6E to the BPR5E.

Some coils are made for electronic ignition, some for points. Your coils might be made for electronic ignition. There's something related to resistance between contact point Some coils are around 0.5ohm, some around 1.5ohm.

On my past setup, with Mallory Unilite ignition (optical triggered like yours) + Mallory 6AL module and unadequate coil, I fried the 6AL module (some capacitor & resistor inside the box have melted)

So it might be worth some checks, especially if you haven't changed your coil during your dizzy change.