HybridZ

Flat floors vs Beaded floors (Zedd Findings)

miky360

I'm not one to really ask questions without searching first but this is an area i am completely new in and I may be asking the wrong questions so please bare with me.

I recently purchased a 110v Mastercraft MIG welder. I am somewhat on a budget so I’m trying to save myself the cost of getting it done at a shop plus I could learn a thing or two.

The body shop was charging me $2000 for floor and rail replacements so as of right now that is out of the question.

I was wondering if I were to just take sheet metal, cut out the shape of the floors and MIG weld it together with what I have, would you redeem that as safe? And would it affect any structural rigidity?

Or with my lack of experience just buy a set of Zed Findings floor replacement and weld those in?

it would be a lot easier to just go and purchase the Zed findings floor boards and tack weld them in place, just make sure that you have a pair of grip pliers to hold the floor boards in place, and you want to try and cut and have shape of the floor boards that you are about to install, don't try and take out to much of the original floor boards, to get an Ideal on how to weld and install the z floor boards you can find video on youtube.

• 2 weeks later...

just to complicate the situation, you dont need argon or MIG to do the welding. Flux core works fine aslong as its set up correctly. I have a 220v welder ive been runnign flux stuff in for a few years and have done stuff like motor mounts and a 12 ton press (welded joints)

Make sure you have enough heat to get good penetration and a good wire speed. for metal like floor boards Id have my welder set to level 2 (of 4, 1 being weakest) so a 110 will probably need to be around 50% of your potential welding strength, maybe a little more.  Keep the surfaces as clean, you'll probably find things around it will be occasionally on fire, lots of flammable things coating floor boards. 

I use to have a 110 and it was balls, the biggest problem I have with cheaper welders is wire feed, usually inconsistant so set the tension on the tire accordingly and use a knurled feed wheel if you have one.

Have fun, wear a p95 face mask when your welding or a respirator. 

I'm not one to really ask questions without searching first but this is an area i am completely new in and I may be asking the wrong questions so please bare with me.

I recently purchased a 110v Mastercraft MIG welder. I am somewhat on a budget so I’m trying to save myself the cost of getting it done at a shop plus I could learn a thing or two.

The body shop was charging me $2000 for floor and rail replacements so as of right now that is out of the question.

I was wondering if I were to just take sheet metal, cut out the shape of the floors and MIG weld it together with what I have, would you redeem that as safe? And would it affect any structural rigidity?

Or with my lack of experience just buy a set of Zed Findings floor replacement and weld those in?

I am a big fan of just welding in pre-fab sections. It works out the best in my opinion. If you get a good supplier the gaps on the edges won't be anything to weld as they provide sufficient overlap.