HybridZ

LS6 Camshaft question

I'm finally getting back to my project. I purchased the LS6 awhile back. I was told that it did not have a stock cam in it. I was told that it measured 218/232 .620 118lsa? Can anyone tell me what to expect from a cam with a grind like this? I took off the valve covers and noticed that it had dual valve springs with titanium retainers so I assume that the cam is in fact "not stock" Can someone enlighten me? thanks in advance.

I would say a lot of RPM capability in a 5.7L, 6500 to 7000. Reasonable idle. That's my guess. It should make good numbers with a flat wide power band if the motor has the supporting parts.

thanks. I ran those numbers on a virtual dyno and thats about what it showed (however accurate those programs are). Just wanted to make sure this wasnt a build for supercharger set up or something. I dont plan on getting that crazy with it.

The cam would work well with a supercharger and certainly with other engine combinations. Did you get any information on the heads? stock, ported, aftermarket? The lift would be a little excessive if you have stock heads. They usually don't flow much better above 550 lift. In that situation you could save some valve train wear if your car was going to be a daily driver with something a little different.

Two things I'd take a look at while you're looking into the valve train are the springs (failures on the OEMs are fairly common) and the rockers. If you have stock rockers, I'd recommend the CompCams trunion replacement, which is a cheap and simple upgrade to the PM rockers that came stock, which are apparently a decent rocker, when you upgrade them.

Mike

Two things I'd take a look at while you're looking into the valve train are the springs (failures on the OEMs are fairly common) and the rockers. If you have stock rockers, I'd recommend the CompCams trunion replacement, which is a cheap and simple upgrade to the PM rockers that came stock, which are apparently a decent rocker, when you upgrade them.

Mike

here is what i found when i took the valve cover off. From what i've read these are not the stock springs.

photo-11.jpg