HybridZ

L6 or VG30?

johnc

A question for you folks...

Background

SCCA Solo has just announced a regional only class (eventually a national class if enoguh competitors are interested) that allows our Zs to compete using the same Street Modofied rules (http://streetmodified.org) that allow open engine and driveline mods. Unfortunately they require and engine from the same manufacturer as the chassis...

There are displacement, weight, and aspiration breakdowns of which two are relevant:

A. 3.0L Forced Induction 2,100 lbs

B. 3.0L N/A 1,900 lbs

My current BSP 240Z weights 2,200 lbs wet and I can probably get it down to 2,000 lbs easily and still meet the rules. So, I was thinking about building a motor for this class. I talked with Jim Thompson at Sunbet and he gave me two basic options:

3.0L N/A L6 with ~275 hp.

3.0L N/A VG30 with ~350 hp.

Going the VG30 route looks like about double the cost and triple the time because of the fabrication involved and lots of driveline changes.

My question is: which one would you folks do?

FYI.. the RB engine series is not allowed because it was never installed in a US spec Nissan.

I'll preface my comments by admitting to be a complete amateur, non-expert-type.....

But, If the VG is nonturbo, I wouldn't think it would be that big of hassle as a swap. It'd be easy to dial in the weight distro exactly where you want it.

VG definately has better heads - I would imagine it would have a nicer, more usable powerband than a tweaked NA L28 (275hp? icon_confused.gif?). Does have a belt vs. a chain - dunno if that's a factor when racing. Is the 24 valve v6 not a consideration?

Personally, I wouldn't consider the L28 unless turbo'd.