HybridZ

2 Weber DGV questions (kinda long)

Mycarispurty

I just got my latest Z the other day and it has the Weber DGV set from Redline Webers. I'm likely going to just sell them and get triples but in order to run what I brung for a little bit to see the overall health of the car, I do need to use them for a little bit.

Here's a little back info (and fyi for you experts, I am carb illiterate to an extent). The p/o said his friend he brought it from (who put lots of $ into the suspension and stuff) daily drove it until one day it developed a knock, so he parked it, then had a stroke and couldn't drive it anyway. So I was getting stuff today to get it prepped to fire back up and see what the knock is exactly or how bad it is and was told to get some Lucas to put in with the fresh oil. I Googled last night and most people said all it really does is thicken up the oil for older engines. So I called a mechanic buddy to see what he recommended as an oil weight instead of typical 10w30, since Lucas is only going to thicken that up anyways. He happens to be a die hard Lucas fan too so I got no good info from him, but he was asking me some questions and I told him that when I pulled the oil cap, it did smell like gas in the head. He said if the regulator was bad or stuck open, or whatever, that too much fuel could have been getting into the cylinders and washed them out too much, which could cause problems, and perhaps even a knock in the bottom end.

So NOW to info pertaining to the DGVs. I popped the hood to look for a regulator, and I didn't see one. There are metal fuel lines to rubber lines to a filter, then straight into the mechanical fuel pump, then off to the lines that go around the front of the head and into the carbs...then a return line (though I didn't think carbed cars needed return lines). Unless this is a pump that has a regulator built into it or something, I didn't see a regulator.

So one of the questions is, are the DGVs supposed to have a regulator even though the mechanical pump isn't going to provide some astronomical fuel pressure anyways?

The other question is, how are the choke cables supposed to work? I know what a choke does, and I have a choke lever by the shifter, but I also appear to have one on the dash close to where my left knee would be. I removed the filters on the carbs yesterday and see the 2 large flaps on top which the throttle linkage didn't move (but I did see the smaller butterflys down in the carbs opening and closing along with the linkage. However, when I move either of the choke levers in the car, the larger flaps on top don't move at all. They're not frozen as I can manually open and close them, but is the choke cable (and yes there are cables there to operate those 2 flaps) supposed to open/close them fully or just by a little bit? I'd hate for the car to be running on a way higher idle than it should be while I try and diagnose the knock.

The fuel pressure from the mechanical pump is suitable for use with the DGV without a regulator. It will be about 3.5 to 4 PSI. The upper "flaps" as yo ucalled them are the chokes and should move with the choke lever in the car. Be sure to open the throttle a bit with your foot when closing the choke. This allows the fast idle cam to move freely. Check the cables where they attach to the carbs, the clamps could be loose and the cable slipping through them.

I went and looked, the 2 cables route underneath the carbs but aren't connected to anything (just hanging there) other than the cable itself being hooked to the choke linkage. The one at the rear has a rubber piece on the tip that looks like it might fit into something to hold itself into place but may have fallen out, while the front one has nothing like that.

If your chokes are open meaning let air in, then I wouldnt worry about them. My car with those same carbs starts up and stumbles a little until warm, not much of an issue. I do have mine hooked up and they will work, but not necessary if you are trying to start. Just like all carbs pump twice fire car with half to full throttle and should fire if you have spark. I have the mechanical and an electric fuel pumps. Car runs fine on the stock pump. Electric helps in higher use as in multiple runs reviving over 6000 rpm.

Does the car turn over with out any noticeable clunks are knocks? If there is a broken part it will be noticeable. If no noises add fuel and have spark and light the beast up!