HybridZ

Fuel cell cover with pop up

JMortensen

Finally got around to doing my fuel cell cover. I had bought some .030" AL and started on it, then decided it was too thin and just let it set there for a year or two. For my next attempt I got some .062" AL sheet and some 1x.062 angle. I cut out the hole for access and intended to use a Moroso fuel cell access door. I pop riveted the raised box together. Tough to do that anything close to tight, so I used some seam sealer on the inside. Then I went to install the Moroso access door and it just seemed too small, so I put it aside and decided to make my own door. I used a small piece of piano hinge from the hardware store and a couple of spring loaded wingnut dzus fasteners. Actually tried a hasp type latch first, but when I pulled it shut it would open the top panel about 1/8". Added some hardware store peel and stick rubber weatherstripping to seal the cover to the chassis, and put in a bunch of 10/24 nutserts and screwed it in. When you use the nutsert tool the threads don't stay centered, so on a few I really had to force the screws in, but it looks OK and I think it's sealed up pretty well, and that's what I was really concerned about.

If anyone is interested in the door, they run about $50 new and I'd let it go for $30 and I'll pay shipping.

post-553-0-36705100-1356145322_thumb.jpg

post-553-0-03819800-1356145323_thumb.jpg

post-553-0-69646000-1356145323_thumb.jpg

post-553-0-29307500-1356145324_thumb.jpg

Edited by JMortensen

Looks awesome!  It looks like your door is two piece in the last picture?  I'm noticing the fuel cell cover where the inlet and outlet is still falls a little left of the door.  Is it hard to remove it?  Or were you just making the door for line servicing more than anything?  Are you running an external or internal pump?

Either way, looks good.  :)

Thanks! It's just a one piece door, but I wanted it to be big enough to get to the fittings if I should need to, and the Moroso cover was too small for my liking. The pump is external (carbed 5.3L) and it attaches to the frame for the cell, so if I need to get to that or the filters, I'll have to go under the car, but they're easily accessible. 

Edited by JMortensen

Carbed 5.3? Sweet! Sounds like it will do the job nicely. Did you find it hard to remove the wheel storage? Also, what is the advantage of running a fuel cell? Less sloshing on corners?

EDIT: Yeah, I am a total noob at fuel stuff. I was intending to just use a tank from an LS1 camaro.

Edited by zohanisback

There is no advantage to a fuel cell other than they are less fire prone, and the disadvantage of needing to fill it up through the hatch is a big one. The stock tank is probably 15 or so lbs lighter than the cell too. I swapped to a cell because I will have this car on a road course and the cells are safer, and because my stock gas tank was leaking and I had tried to fix it a number of times. I think it was leaking at the seam.

I'd follow the typical LS1 swap advice for yours. I think the Camaro tank is pretty popular, and I'd guess that is because it is less hassle.

For removing the spare tire well, you can do that in two ways: either drill out the spot welds around the top of the tire well or cut the sheet metal out around the frame. If you don't need to do a bunch of modifying to get the tank in, I'd drill out the spot welds. That would be really easy to cover compared to what I did.