HybridZ

280z Not cranking over

So I went to try to start the Z and it doesnt want to crank over the starter starts to click. So I figured the battery must be dead So I hooked jumper from my Honda to the car then turned the Honda on and tired it again. When I go to turn the car on it just keeps struggling to crank over but doesn't die out. The volt meter shows my battery has a full charge on it at 12v's so I'm kinda dumb founded.

The only recent work Ive done on it was replacing the AFM plug which I've had issues since then but the car still turned on tho.

Also another question is there a certain way to check the OHms on the ECU wire Pins? I'm trying to check pins 6 and 8 but I'm getting nothing registered and all im doing is turning the car power on, putting the red prob in the 6 pin slot and the black prob on the datsun trim on the car.

Typically a rapid click is a battery issue or connection issue. From what you are saying trying to test your pins you might have a ground issue.  If you get a single click i'd suspect solenoid on the starter.  12 volts is 75% discharged, in the battery world those decimals mean a lot!  12.6-12.7 is the voltage a fully charged battery will have.  In addition just because it has proper voltage doesn't mean it will hold it under a load such as starting.  Get the battery load tested. Check all connections. Don't just turn the terminals on until they are tight, loosen the nuts and push the terminals down and tighten them with a wrench.  Then ensure when you turn the key you are getting a solid voltage reading from the key switch activation wire.

As for the ohm tests.  Download the FSM and go through the testing procedures.  It has very specific steps to test all aspects of wiring on your car. You may have a bad ground, that's not the best place to get your ground from testing anyhow.  I'd make up a test lead wire that way you can ground your ohm meter directly to the battery negative or to a more solid part of the chassis.  Ohms tests are VERY specific readings and your resistance measurements will be greatly affected by not choosing a proper ground point.  Most of the tests i'm pretty sure get you to pick a ground on the harness plug anyhow because that's the ground all other sensors will derive their voltage readings from.

Good luck

Ya it was reading at 12.3 charge on it but while trying to crank it over it would drop dramatically down to about 8. So I went to Advance and got them to do a load test and they said it pretty much needed a recharge. So it's going to charge overnight and I'll update if it cranks over tomorrow "cross fingers"