HybridZ

sr20det twin cam or rb20det

destro79

Gollum did a good job summing things up, but I just want to throw my 2 cents in.

Choosing an engine is very much about the use of the car. If all you want is more power, every option will work. When I was running the math on which engine to use for my latest Z build, I ended up with an SR20DET. I can't tell you it is the best choice for your application, but I can outline why I chose it.

1. The engine moved the weight behind the front axle making the car a front-midship layout that improved balance.
  2. The SR20DET has one of the largest parts markets of any engine with the exception of something like the LS.
  3. The SR20DET is capable of over 400HP with mostly OEM parts, and the block is good for about 1300HP (My plans wouldn't be pushing the limits).
  4. The weight savings of the SR20DET for the power is only rivaled by a high comp aluminum v8.
  5. SR20DET engines are relatively cost effective for what is included (already boosted, power head room out of the box, etc).
  6. The SR20DET can produce good MPG with proper tuning.

Now, the purpose of my car was to be a daily driver that I could track on the weekends. If I were going to be racing in a series or autocrossing competitively, I probably wouldn't have gone this route due to class restrictions/classifications. I was looking to build a Z for the cost of the S2000 I was replacing it with, and trying to build a comparable car. Just getting the engine into the car is the easy part, it's how well it's packaged and sorting out all the details to make it feel like it could have been an OEM setup.

I can make anything fast with enough money, but that doesn't mean it's what anyone would ever want to drive. I built the car for my purposes. For your application, you may be better off going KA24DE and then turboing it later on or just snagging a complete L28ET from wreck and swapping that in. It really depends what you want from the vehicle.

Edited by CasperIV
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

There are pros and cons for any swap or mod. I did a SR20det swap on my 280z. In my opinion the pros outweigh the cons.

Pros

Great power

28mpg driving normal, which dosent happen often

Car feels more nimble

Dont need big aftermarket brakes

Room to work on

Cons

Cost, quality takes money and time

Not as smooth as alot of engines. Honestly it has bad harmonics at idle and decell.

Exhaust sound on decell not plesant, acell its ok

I like my car with the swap and glad I did it. Engine swaps are not for everyone. People will like and dislike anything. Do what makes you happy and do it the best you can.