HybridZ

how to hook up speedometer

I have a 260z with a 400 SBC and a 350 tubo trans. I bought the speedo cable from advance that fits the 350 turbo. My question is, in order to hook the cable up to the speedo, do I need to pull the dash or can I do it with the dash and gauge in tact. Ive got in the floor and tried looking up to see if I could see where the cable goes but I couldnt

The speedometer and tachometer come out through the front so you don't need to remove the dash to service them. You should be able to change the cable without removing the meter. Removing the tach helps by allowing access through its opening in the dash. There are 2 wing nuts holding each meter to the brackets. Remove these and the meters will pull out a bit so you can remove the lighting and other wiring. The speedomete has a cable for the trip meter reset thathas a tiny screw in the shaft at the back of the meter that has to be removed to get the meter out. The cable and wires are long enough to allow the meters to be pulled out enough to work on the wiring. Removing the steering wheel helps but is not necessary.

Ive tried looking straight up and cant see anything. Wish i could do it without removing anything. How does the speedometer gauge come out??I cant feel the wing nuts on the back of it. Also, what is the correct path to run the speedometer cable

Edited by HarveyZ

You have to get your head close to the firewall, right on the pedals, and look up and forward to see the back of the meters. Use a flashlight or droplight as well. It is a squeeze to get in there and see or do anything.

The cable runs through a hole in the firewall more or less directly behind the meter.