HybridZ

Changed Fuel Pump and Won't Start

'75 280Z  with 114K miles.

Took my z in to have the rear tranny seal changed and my mechanic asked if I had been smelling gas in my car .... Yes, I have been for several days.  Turns out the fuel pump was leaking.

That may answer the other problem I have been having ... in the am the car would start up right away but run rough until warmed up.  If It died before being warmed up, I would have to crank the car for long period of time (40+ secs, 2 or 3 times) before it would eventually start, acting like it was flooded, but got through it and ran well.  Would have no problems for the rest of the entire day, stop and go, starting fine.

Forgot to tell my mechanic about the morning ritual when I left it at his shop the night before and sure enough, in the morning he started it, didn't make sure it keep running and it died ... after cranking it for a little bit, he concluded it ran out of gas and called me for the gas cap key.  After me explaining the morning ritual, he said that he had gone ahead and just pushed the car on the rack and got to work on the tranny. 

After fixing the tranny, he changed the leaking fuel pump, but now can't get the car to start.  He says the fuel pressure is good, has spark and is getting so much fuel it's "washing out the cylinders and the oil smells like gas".

Suggestions?

This just sounds like a bad situation. The 75 is fuel injected, right? Has he checked the fuel pressure regulator? What pump did he use for the new unit? Is this a Nissan mechanic, or small general shop? Has he pulled an injector for spray pattern? Did he check for spark?

The problem is you had a preexisting issue, and now a guy worked on it and you don't know what he did to make it better or worse. At this point, if fuel pressure is appropriate, it's time to start checking all combustion systems. And hope the guy isn't a quack... If he had it running before and now it doesn't, it's on his dime as far as I am concerned.

Update.... my mechanic has discovered there is an "overflow line" from the fuel pressure regulator that goes to the gas tank...and that line apparently is not allowing the gas that exceeds the amount regulated by the regulator to return to the tank, rather it is being forced into the chambers via injectors .. HENCE, Flooding.

We suspect there is a problem associated with the evap system.

Find a new wrench..sorry but I've been a tech for a long time and don't know anyone who couldn't see this problem a mile away.   I'm sure he's a great guy, but I'm sure there are better shops right around the corner.

Zohan is correct, you may have an FPR issue or you may have a wide open injector.   The wide open injector is less likely, that will usually hydrolock the engine and it won't crank.  I remember that car runs a pretty low fuel pressure for an injected car (30-ish lbs at idle.)  I do not remember what it is cranking.  I'm sure someone here can advise.

btw-when you get the issue fixed make sure you don't have a ton of fuel turning your engine oil to water.

My mechanic noted that if they pinched the fuel line coming from the FPR the engine would run well....let it go and ran terrible = too much fuel.  He decided to pull the fuel line running from the FPR that goes back to the tank, let it hang to the ground and see what it does...and, sure enough, it ran well = line back to the tank has some blockage??  Blew "shop air" into line returning to tank, hooked all lines back up and is running great!

Yeah Wes, big red flag when he said the fuel pressure was ok but the car seemed flooded and you could smell gas. Hope he disconnected the line John he blew air through it and you don't have junk in your tank, now. Ether way, definitely get a new mechanic. I could have figure this out in a few minutes... An experienced tech should know better. :(