HybridZ

Turbo EFI wiring problems!!

Errr...maybe I need to learn to read first. I thought I read you were just putting the computer in with the n/a harness...doh!

When I put mine into my 1st gen, I studied the heck out of the two cars wiring diagrams, and made the appropriate connections. As I recall, I wired the fuel pump signal from the ECU directly to the relay, which was already wired into the rest of the car. I used the trubo EFI relay, and simply wired the old power from the fusible link to it. You may need the turbo coil and trigger -- I don't know if the n/a coil has the external transistor trigger, and you do need that. Good luck, and sorry I jumped the gun.

OK, I dug out my old photocopy of the 280ZX turbo wiring diagram. The transistor emitter is grounded throught the chassis, so you don't have to sweat that one. The positive to the coil comes from the ignition switch on a black wire with a white stripe. This same wire powers the relay coil for the EFI relay. The negative side of the coil connects directly to the transistor collector with a short blue wire. The trigger for the whole mess goes through a yellow wire with a white stripe through an 8 pin connector directly to pin 5 on the ECU. Hope this helps.

If the black/white wire hooks to the - side of the coil, what hooks to the other side of the transistor. On the transistor it has the yellow trigger hooked to one side. What color wire is the "fuel pump signal"? And did you use any of the wires from the turbo harness that was in that five wire connector, that's over near the battery?

Thanks

Jason

Maybe together we can beat this thing.

The black/white connects to the + of the coil (positive). The - of the coil connects to the transistor, the other side of the transistor connects to the chassis (ground). I'm at work without the diagram, so I'll get you the color of the fuel pump wire tonight.

Not sure about your 5 wire connector near the battery...does it plug into the EFI relay?

My 300zx ECU gets warm to the touch with the ignition on, I'm not sure about the 280zxt ECU. I wish I could supply you a drawing - it would be worth your while to dig up the comprehensive Chiltons manual on Z's and ZX's - mine covers '75 though '89, and has all the wiring diagrams.

The power to the ignition is the b/w wire connected to the + of the coil. The - of the coil connects via a short wire to the transistor. The transistor completes the current path to the chassis. The transistor (and subsequently the coil) is switched by the y/w wire from the ECU.

Regards,

Would there be spark come from the yellow/white(trigger wire) wire if placed 1/2 cm from a ground, while the key was turning over the motor? Because I unhooked it and there is no spark what so ever.And that is one of the wires "I" know I have hooked up right. How can I tell if I have a bad ECU?

Sorry for being so much trouble!

Jason

Nope, you'll see no spark whatsoever. The y/w wire is very low current, it's just a signal - it is so weak it can't drive the coil, that's what the transistor does - it amplifies the signal to a current to drive the coil. Even the primary current in the coil won't jump a spark, as it is still just 12V. You can test for a spark only from the plug wires or the main coil wire to the distributor. You could attach a test light from the coil minus (-) to the chassis and the y/w wire to chassis to see if your ECU is putting out the spark signals. Good luck.

Hi Jason,

I did the N/A to Turbo. (83to83) If your wires are right. The power transistor is bad. Spent many hours learning the wiring. I used the N/A coil wires for the turbo coil. But, added the Y/W wire along with the B/W for the transistor. If SleeperZ hasn't already given you enough help icon_smile.gif I can send you pics and fax you the factory wiring diagram.

Your car will crank but it won't turn over. Been there done that. It took me two nights to figure out why. I put in a new PT and Vroom she went, (this was after getting one from a wrecking yard that was no good) Your looking at $120.- up, for that one little part that prevents it from turning over.

LOL.. I remember how frustrated I was. I knew I did it right but she just wouldn't turn over.

icon_smile.gif

Donna

Wow.. you guys are amazing.. Originally I was going to use the N/A wiring for the swap and then use the turbo wiring for the ECU and coils but there are 6 more wires that needs to be connected to the main loom of wire (N/A) which runs under the dash accross to the fuse blocks. Instead of spend a day or 2 to figure out where these 6 wires goes to I just did a complete swap of all the turbo wirings harness into the car and it took 1 hour.. Obcourse I had everything out of the car already.. If anyone know where those 6 wires go to please give me an email so I can help my friend later on doing the swap and hopefully we don't have to swap all the wirings out. BTW I have another complete set of turbo wiring for the whole car and the wiring harness for the ECU and coils separately.