HybridZ

Best Fuel Pump Controller and Fuel Cell for Road Race??

Nismodealer

Just trying to sort out my fuel system specs for this application. I'm hoping someone will have some feedback on what they do or don't like about various setups and why.

The Car: 1970 240z EFI Ford 302

Setup should meet the demands of daily driving, and suitable to pass tech at up to class GTR3

I have been planning on the Aeromotive Stealth system, but the cell is not engineered to meet this class from my understanding. I like the reviews of their pumps and pump control unit, but wondering if anyone would care to suggest something else? I have looked at ATL and Fuel Safe cells, but if there's a way to save a buck or two that'd be awesome. 

Thanks in advance!

C'mon man...  Rule 4:

4. There is no Best! No best tires. No best engine. No best shock. No best big chrome foot gas pedal. Every car builder and driver is in a different situation. What's good for one might suck for another. The decision on what is "best" for you and your car is completely up to you. As with any decision time, effort, and research is needed by the decision maker - you! Instead of asking what is "best", do some research, explain your situation in excruciating detail, and describe what alternatives you're considering in your decision. Posting a thread with "What's the best..." in the title it is a sure way to get that post tossed into the Tool Shed.

What sanctioning body has the GTR3 class?

What does their rule book say about fuel cell requriements?

How much horsepower from your 302?

C'mon man...  Rule 4:

What sanctioning body has the GTR3 class?

What does their rule book say about fuel cell requriements?

How much horsepower from your 302?

Truthfully, I'm not sure where the name of this class came from. I obtained that info from a friend who is also building his Z for road racing. To my understanding, it must have meant GT-3... Basically a class above Production - which is assuming I'm eligible for such a class. I am assuming most track day events I'd like to participate in will be Production class.

If a cell without bladder is acceptable for Production class, I may go that route. I have been trying to read through the entire 300+ page SCCA rule book, but haven't gotten close to completion.

I was hoping you would reply to this John, as you seem to be the local expert on road racing, and it's something I've always wanted to get into.

It should be around 400 - 425 whp

Unfortunately what you're biuilding will not be legal in any SCCA road racing class except your local region's "run what ya brung" Improved Touring class.  Here in CalClub that class is called ITE.  Your car sounds more like a HPDE or Open Track day build.  In that case, you have no rules to comply with unless you want to do some type of sanctioned time trials with SCCA, NASA, Redline, or Speedventures.

A fuel cell without a bladder is not a fuel cell.  Its just a fuel tank and is no better then the stock fuel tank as far as safety is concerned.  At least the stock tank has been designed and tested by professional engineers and meets a set of standards.

If you do put a fuel cell in your car and are using it on the track I recommend a FIA/SFI approved cell with a bladder.

I thought that SCCA Class 'street modified ssm' would have been my most eligible class... Stating any engine may be used, and the weight seems to be right in my expected range.

Not to steal someone else's ideas, but 74_5.0L_Z has to be one of my favorite platforms. I assumed that was a track car by the threads I've read