HybridZ

Turbo AND NOS?

J Taylor

I bought a Nitrous express wet kit the other day to replace the NOS dry kit on my 94 cobra but I have been thinking that maybe I could use the wet kit on the Z with a small shot. The car is pushing 350+hp to the wheels as-is. How much is the stock bottom end good for? I'm thinking that since it's a wet kit I'll be ok as far as fuel delivery goes. Seems like a little nitrous to go along with the laggy turbo would be sweet. Any comments?

JT

Is the wet kit a plate kit? If from a 94 I'm betting it's got an EFI plate. You'd have to do some swapping around of parts to maye get a single nozzle on it but it shoudl work if given the righ tparts.

However it occurs ot me that if lag is the only problem perhaps there's a better way. Why is is lagging? Is the exhaust corked up or what? How bad is the lag? If you figure out the real problem and solve it the solution will be there full time. And then you can add the NOS icon_biggrin.gif

P.S. Went to see Fast and Furious huh? icon_smile.gif

[ August 03, 2001: Message edited by: BLKMGK ]

Ahh, Walker's old ride. I thought that thing had a 60-1, not particularly a laggy turbo. I have run the NOS ontop the turbo on a 60-1 and 18psi of boost. Just add race gas and you should be ok without doing anything else for a 65shot or so. Believe me, it makes a world of difference. I went 8.0@97 on street tires without a LSD unit with a crappy 2.16 60'.

Hrm, okay so the motor is built "right" so that's good. Try this - set it up for say a 75 horse shot (or less) which is probably enough to "excite" the turbo's exhaust wheel and use a Hobb's switch to shut the juice off at say 3lbs of boost or so. Use the NOS to get out of lag and a soggy throttle and then shut it off before the boost comes on and you trash the bottom end. I'd also use a WOT switch, a retard, and an RPM "window" switch to make sure it doesn't come on too low or too high. Complicated, maybe overly so, but it might make for a much more responsive setup.

Here's a question for ya' guys - would temporarily advancing or retarding the ignition change the exhaust flow to band-aid a soggy turbo? Something faintly ringing in the back of my head about this but I'm not sure. Retard so the fuel burns in the exhaust pipe maybe? Or is this complete B.S.? icon_confused.gif

Guest Anonymous

i agree with blkmgk on using the NOS to spool the turbo . i don`t know how your retarding the timing now, but-2* and a 50 hp shot should work really well.i really agree with blkmgk on adding saftey systems on a NOS motor.ie. retard box, WOT switch, window switch. i would also invest in a bottle heater and niterous express makes a really cool presure controlled valve to ensure the bottle is at optimal presure.if it was me i would leave the juice on for the whole run.

Nah, it's not a plate kit...just a single nozzle with an inlet for fuel and one for the nitrous. Installation would be trivial...just tap the nozzle in some where before the intake manifold and hook the fuel and nitrous lines to it. Pretty simple. It's lagging b/c it's just a big turbo on a low compression motor. Exhaust is 3" all the way out. Lag isn't really even the reason I want to spray it....reason is b/c I have an extra nitrous kit sitting here and a small shot does wonders for turbo cars. Main thing is I dunno how my bottom end will handle it...seems like I'm pushing it already.

JT