HybridZ

VQ35DE in 240z - UK

astroboy

Hi all,

Just wanted to say hello in here. I've been lurking this forum ever since I have bought my S30z (cali import) back in 2007.

I got my S30 from shipped over from Pasadena. Apparently, it had been sitting in the previous owner's garage gathering dust since '96. Further news is that the current engine was tuned by an company called JG Racing. It has a 5 speed manual box, as to what bhp, i'm not sure. It's pokey but not super quick.

I've kept it dry stored since and started up every few weeks to just check it's all in working order. It has hardly any rust which is the main reason for buying it.

Anyhow, It's going to have a VQ35 in it's engine bay instead of the L6 as I want more reliability and a bit more power. As this is my only project car I do want a decent power but nothing crazy. Overall I want to create a machine where I have confidence in it's handling. 

Anyhow, getting my hands dirty mechanically is something fairly new to me so this project is pretty substantial. I plan to restore the body myself and I do have a friend of the family who is a metal fabricator and is more than happy to prep the things I need to get the conversion done. I've been reading all the stories on here and using the information as best possible. 

I've searched high and low but I don't think I have seen this question thrown out there. 

If you get a VQ35DE and by-pass the NATS system, how do you go about making sure that your car is protected  - alarm / immobilizer etc etc. Can you utilize the original NAT or have to go aftermarket?

Thanks in advance! 

if you bypass the NATS then you're going to have to go aftermarket.  There's tons of threads on vehicle security.  If I were you I'd still go with the NATS system so at least the engine won't start w/o the key.  A combination of aftermarket alarm and NATS would be a great idea.  NATS isn't that hard, you need the dash harness, any BCU, and a key (preferably the key that came with the ECU.  but Nissan can fix that for you with Consult III/IV.  All NATS does is keep the car from starting. You'll need a lot more of the 350z components to make the OEM alarm work too.  Thus the sugestion for the aftermarket alarm.

When you get on it, Check back here and we will help you however we can.  Read through these threads on the VQ swaps for lots of info. and DL the manual from Xenonz33.

Phar

Thanks for the reply Phar. 

I'm thinking of going via NATS purely because it has an immobiliser and what not.

I've spoken to a well known VQ tuner here in the UK and they say all I have to do is send them the ECU which they'll do their magic and get rid of NATS which in turn they'll send it back and hopefully it'll be all plug and play....

Here's what I've got coming:

• Complete VQ35DE Engine with all manifolds, fuel rails, MAS, etc.
  • Gearbox
  • wiring harness and ECU (engine harness, the dash harness and sensors)
  • BCU, IPDM (power management)
  • Ignition, w/ Key and FM antenna
  • Fusebox from drivers side
  • Possibly the AC and the amp.
  • Pedal assembly
  • driveshaft

It'd be good to get the alarm working too, did you take it and put it into your conversion? If I need to get an aftermarket alarm, that's fine by me. Then saying that, wouldn't it be easier to eradicate NATS and then get a full aftermarket alarm and immobilizer instead? 

Also, thanks for the heads up on the manual from Xenonz33. Will be reading when I get time today.

Thanks again.