HybridZ

should I build turbo 2.8 or 3.1???

J Taylor

Not really all that worried about the price of the 3.1, just need to know what setup is going to be the best way to go for a high hp setup. Already have the LD crank but I'm sure I could get rid of it pretty easily if I decided to not use it. Anyone have experience building one of these? Can you send me in the right direction as to exactly what parts I need for the combo? Is it really even worth it? I'm shooting for 450-500 at the wheels, ultimately, so I would like to build the bottom end right the first time, rather than having to go back later and redo stuff I cheaped out on the first time.

Thanks,

JT

The way I see it, all things considered equal, the 3.1 will have 10% more hp, torque than the 2.8.

The price of parts is one thing, the price of headaches (if there are any going to the 3.1L) is another thing to consider.

BUT, does the increase in stroke allow for more cylinder filling with a turbo, meaning more gas in the combustion chamber after compression stroke is over? I've read that large combustion chambers are better for a turbo motor, since there is more room available (with the same boost) for fuel and air. Of course, this could be all hogwash, since I am no turbo guru icon_wink.gif.

Jamie? It's Jonathon. icon_smile.gif

I wouldn't say money is no object, but I'm not worried about it costing more than a normal buildup, within reason. Like I said before, I just want to do everything possible to make the most power the first time I build it.

JT

Jamie, if money is (relatively) no object go for it by all means. The one to really talk to is 240Z Turbo since he is running a 3.0L turbo. I believe that even more than the increase in displacement, the ability to get a really good rod/stroke ratio and therefore help prevent detonation is the selling point on this one. I think 240Z Turbo is running 8.5:1 CR at 15-18psi boost. (off the top of my head) Some serious torque available there! (he uses a 4200 stall too IIRC icon_eek.gif )