HybridZ

Tachometer not reading.

ScumbagS130

I finished switching out my non-turbo computer with a turbo computer etc, before the swap, my tachometer was reading, but after the swap it just stays at zero. When I turn the ignition on, I do notice that the needle does a minor twitch. Not sure if that helps, but just thought I would throw that in there.  I checked to see if it was plugged in from the back and it is. I have no other idea what it could be or what I can do. This is a analog cluster. Any ideas.?

• 2 weeks later...

The main cluster is the same between the turbo and the NA. (The tri cluster is different). Is the blue (IIRC) wire coming out of the inner fender on the driver side near the ignition coil hooked up

I checked for it and that cable is connected to the negative side of the coil and then connects to one part of the module I took the car to a shop in Whittier where they did the GM HEI swap and that's where that cable is at now. The only cable coming out of the fender is a black with white stripe, and to my knowledge that's the ground wire for the ECU. Does this help?

Black with white is the positive wire from the ignition switch. Blue goes to the tach and should be on the negative side of the coil regardless of what is triggering it ( the coil). If there is no blue wire coming from the fender well, then most likely it is not hooked up unless it got rerouted some other way.

Black with white is the positive wire from the ignition switch. Blue goes to the tach and should be on the negative side of the coil regardless of what is triggering it ( the coil). If there is no blue wire coming from the fender well, then most likely it is not hooked up unless it got rerouted some other way.

Yeah that blue cable goes from the negative side of the coil to 1 of the 4 points on the igniter. Is it possible to find that cable and splice it into and then connect it to the negative side?

post-29800-0-87254600-1360884733_thumb.jpg

Edited by ScumbagS130

Yes, you could just put a ring terminal on it and connect it to the negative side of the coil with the other wire. If you take the small plastic cover from the fender well where the black/white wire comes from, it should be part of the same harness. Probably will have to make it longer as it looks like they used part of it for the HEI conversion.

Yes, you could just put a ring terminal on it and connect it to the negative side of the coil with the other wire. If you take the small plastic cover from the fender well where the black/white wire comes from, it should be part of the same harness. Probably will have to make it longer as it looks like they used part of it for the HEI conversion

I found the cable and now the tach is reading. Thanks a lot aarang.! Now off to another question. My temp gauge sensor isnt working either after they swapped it out the harness. I have the put in a coolant temp sensor and after plugging it in I noticed that the coolant reservoir fluid wouldnt even last, so I unplugged it. It still gets used up but not as much as when it was plugged in. Is the same wire for the temp gauge in the harness that the tach wire was in.?

post-29800-0-81142300-1361314799_thumb.jpg

Edited by ScumbagS130