HybridZ

old mercedes rumors.....

Mack

I know everyone has heard this rumor about how the L series motor is a copy of a Mercedes motor. My question is does anyone in here know if a head (crossflow or DOHC) from one of these motors will fit on one of our venerable L motors? could anyone go out to a junkyard and take some measurements? I would but where I am, I am lucky to find a Z in a JY, let alone a mercedes! lol!

I'm just mentioning this for knowledge and nothing else... yes that is correct Datsun/Nissan copied a lot of Mercedes Engineering which is not bad, just means we have quality and reliable engines. Lots of interchangable parts but why pay more.

The rumors are true, but in a roundabout way. You can check the IZCC web site. From what I recall, the Prince Motor Company in Japan licensed the Mercedes SOHC 6 cylinder engine in the early 1960s. They were working up their engine design from the Mercedes license when they were purchased by Nissan in 1965. From there, the design effort continued and the results were the L4 and the L6 engine families.

mmmm thats another good reason to tell my dad why i bought a 2 door sports car, reliabilty, because the engine is based on a mercedes engine....

mmm just something to keep in mind if my dad wants to make me sell my car... haha... thanks