HybridZ

wire woes

nadd

I bought an 83 280 zx 2+2 NA from a guy for 350$.  The body is in decent condition and the motor/trans work great.  However the interior is trash.

The previous owner made a mess of the wires in the dash and i'm just trying to get this thing back up and working proper.

I will upload some pics i took from under the steering wheel of loose connecters and broken wires.  I have looked at the Wire Diagram provided from xenon s130 and am un able to figure this mess out.  Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

post-37028-0-88536500-1361531557_thumb.jpg

post-37028-0-31536900-1361531594_thumb.jpg

post-37028-0-97445900-1361531643_thumb.jpg

post-37028-0-78147000-1361531663_thumb.jpg

post-37028-0-17962400-1361531689_thumb.jpg

post-37028-0-16722800-1361531719_thumb.jpg

post-37028-0-80742700-1361531743_thumb.jpg

post-37028-0-19306200-1361531772_thumb.jpg

ouch, good luck, it is always a nightmare tracing the stock harness with all it's own soldered splits etc let alone other peoples wiring hacking.

i have an unmolested 1983 turbo car harness listed in the classifieds, it is actually 3 separate harnesses that plug into each other, front body, dash central harness and the rear harness, i don't know if it will work on a 2+2 NA though, the rear might be too short in length and the Dash might be different at the instrument cluster.

I do not have the engine harness but I do have everything else including modules, relays etc.

Like you said, the radio, cruise and climate control are out.

I keep blowing fuses for the power mirrors so i need to find that short.

I cannot switch from high to low beams in my car.

The digital dash is out.  It lights up but i dont get any readings on it (MPH, tach, fuel, or temp).  I trouble shot that and found i am in need of a new cluster.

My warning buzzer is on all the time.

Rear window defog does not work.  It needs a new sensor on the hatch glass.

Driver's side head light is super dim. (have not gotten around to checking as per xenons130.com)

Also, my horn is out.

Don't replace the cluster yet . Check all your input signals to the cluster , prob. disconnected or missing connector . Rear def. should work without the sensor . You might have other problems . Are you pretty good with electrical and do you proper tools for testing ? I'll try to help you if i can . I do have an 83 turbo w digital dash in my collection .

First, thank you very much for the help you have given me and will attempt to give to me.

I already took the cluster out and tested the inputs, everything is good at the wires in the harnesses.

I have not gotten around to testing the connection at the rear defroster so i have not figured that out yet.

I have an ohm meter that i use for testing.  I am fairly good with wires/electrical stuff.

I was thinking that much.  I dont think the cruise will work even after that switch gets installed because the pressure activated switches on the clutch and brake peddle have nothing to butt up against when the peddles are all the way up.

They just appear to be threaded holes.

On the positive side i was working on my dim head light issue today (was pulled over thursday night on my way home from work) in pic one, in the upper right hand corner you see a red wire with a green/yellow stripe that leads into a red wire splice.  I found where that wire was located in the large harness in close to the same location in the same pic, then repaired it.  I now have "B*tchin' Betty" back (If that name is inappropriate, mods, please change it).   Makes me wonder what other things she says...

Edited by nadd

• 2 weeks later...

There should be 3 buttons in the pedals, 2 in the brake, and 1 for the clutch.  1 button is for the brake lights the other two are for the cruise control.  I think I have a spare one some where if your brake lights are always on.

Normally the dim headlight is the headlight switch has dirty contacts.  You need to remove it and take it apart and clean them.  I used a green scrubbie but was told pencil erasers work too.  It's fairly easy to do.

The rear defogger sensor is for the auto on function, you should be able to push the switch manually to turn it on.

Thank you, however the brake lights are not always on. They do work properly.

Normally, yes, the dirty contacts are the culprit.  However in the case of my car, it was a bad splice by the previous owner.

There is something else wrong with the rear defogger, I try using the switch, but it still doesn't work.