HybridZ

Advice on cutting OE springs .

Ok , i just finished my LS1 swap , 78 280 Z . Now , with new wheels and tires are mounted , i'm ready to move on to suspension mod. .

Questions are for those who cut their OE springs :

I was thinking of cutting 1/2 a coil in the rear , that should give me the look that i'm shooting for .

And the front , i need at least 2 in. lower . For those who cut 1 coil off , i need to know how much lower and ride quality ?

I have done this , cut a coil off , before on my 83 ZX ( LS1 and 6 spd. ) . Got the look i wanted but the ride is a little too harsh for me . 

Any inputs or other options will be appreciated . Don't want to do coilover at this time . Thanks

post-11413-0-53575200-1362674946_thumb.jpg

post-11413-0-56448500-1362675073_thumb.jpg

One suggestion for the rear is to swap out the strut insulators with units from a 240Z....easy to find a used pair cheap.  They are shorter than the 280 units, and that change alone will drop your rear ride height 1-1.5 inches.  Much better than chopping your springs.

Sorry....don't have an easy answer for the front.  Many people will tell you to just bite the bullet and install different (i.e. shorter/stiffer) springs.  Fortunately, they are plentiful, and cheap if you buy used.

Good luck with it....the ride looks nice, and that LS motor should make it rip.

Just wait until you can do a coilover conversion.  I cut my springs years ago and it made the car undriveable.  Every seam in the road bottomed out the suspension.  I would discourage you from cutting stock springs-the suspension bottoming will drive you crazy and it even cracked my roof at the b-pillar.  If you leave your suspension alone, you can enjoy your new engine, but if you cut your springs, you will have to baby the car everywhere you go-that would be a shame.

Actually the rear is not so bad . Would like the rear to be a little stiffer . I'm very happy with rear on 83 ZX , by cutting a coil it helps the car from squatting too much during launch . Since the LS1 motor is a little lighter , i don't need it to be very stiff up front . I might just cut half and go from there . Just need to know how low will i get with half cut off . Don't think i will get 2 inches that i'm looking for up front . Might have to lower the spring seats . Thanks the above for your inputs .

The previous owner of my 260z had aftermarket springs installed on my car all the way around. I replaced the front strut inserts on it later on and cut a coil out of the front springs. I figured that would drop the front enough, Nope. It was still real high in the front so i then cut another coil out of them. That got it to an acceptable height, the front bounces a little bit but the ride is not harsh.

These were stock aftermarket replacement springs though.

The previous owner of my 260z had aftermarket springs installed on my car all the way around. I replaced the front strut inserts on it later on and cut a coil out of the front springs. I figured that would drop the front enough, Nope. It was still real high in the front so i then cut another coil out of them. That got it to an acceptable height, the front bounces a little bit but the ride is not harsh.

These were stock aftermarket replacement springs though.

So , you cut a total of two coils . How much lower , in inches , did you get ?

• 2 months later...