HybridZ

280Z efi engine

Guest Shiin

I've heard you can put an efi engine from a 280z into the 240Z icon_confused.gif. My questions are, does it use the same motor mounts of the stock 240z engine? Do you need any other special parts for the efi engine to make it run? how do you wire it up? Is it worth doing? Or if I use the stock engine, what mods can I do to the engine without totally distroying the engine, besides boring the cylinder,new heads, and carbs? Thanks for all you help icon_biggrin.gif

>My questions are, does it use the same motor mounts of the stock 240z engine?

Yep--all the L motors used the same mounts (at least the first generation Zs-not sure about the ZXs)

>Do you need any other special parts for the efi engine to make it run?

You will need all the induction stuff (AFM, Hoses, Filter, etc) and also the wiring harness and computer (drivers side kick panel)--there are also a bunch of relays scattered throughout the car you will need. You will also need the high pressure fuel pump that FI cars used, and possibly the fuel tank (not sure, but they might be different)

>how do you wire it up?

The EFI harness is easy--it has two large wires that connect to the battery (along with fusible links) and the rest of the harness connects to the engine (mostly--see reference above to scattered relays)

>Is it worth doing?

Depends--how enthused are you by retro-fitting wiring into a car that never had it before? Why exactly do you want to do it? The stock motor can be tweaked fairly easily, while the FI system has it's limitations (not that easy to hop up without spending $$$)

>Or if I use the stock engine, what mods can I do to the engine without totally distroying the engine, besides boring the cylinder,new heads, and carbs?

There is actually quite a bit you can do--it just depends on how much you want to spend (isn't that true of all projects though?) You can bore it out, but personally, I'd just look for a L28 motor and start there--no need to bore it then-you can add an earlier head if you want, put a different cam in, etc. I am running a L28 in my 260, along with early SU carbs (had them rebushed by ZTherapy)--I just got done rebuilding teh engine, and it's running great. I'm sure there are other mods out there, but I don't know of all of them.

Good luck on your project,

Jim

jimzdat - the reason I asked "Is it worth doing?" because I was wondering if I should run the ZX turbo engine, but if the 280Z's engine is good, than I might go with that because I want it to look somewhat stock. With the L28 motor upgade, what did you have to add on to make it work for your 260Z? And is it that much better than the L24 motor as far as moding it to gain more horse power. I want to make a sleeper out of my Z is that possible with the L28 icon_confused.gif ? Thanks for the info icon_biggrin.gif

I didn't have to do anything special to drop the L28 into the 260--the heads on most of the later motors are "dual-drilled"--they will accept both carbs or FI-I like the L28 simply because it's the larger motor, and is more towards the end of the R&D scale--they got the bugs worked out I guess you could say.

From all outward appearances, the L24, 26 & 28 look alike--the only way to be sure is to check the number stamping on the block--my 260 had an L28 in it when I got it--I just happened to have a spare I could rebuild while still driving the car-then I just swapped the motors one nite at work.

It is very possible to do a "sleeper"--just keep in mind that some mods (exhaust especially) can give it away. My 280Z looked like just your everyday beater, but with 2.5" exhaust, header, triple webers and a tall cam, it wasn't exactly fooling anyone icon_smile.gif

I am about to purchase a Z from a man and the car still feels good, but I do think it will go soon. I want to have a back up engine when it goes, so I was just asking what would be good with more hp and upgradeablity with reliability but keeping a true Z without another manufacturors motor inside. True about making it a sleeper with more power, it will be a dead give away by the sound, but I am tired of those CIVIC's and other car I hear farting around town. I have a supra, but they don't want to race me in that, so that's not very fun. I hope they will challenge a Z instead. icon_biggrin.gif The Z's are very great and versatile cars that you can do a lot to. I don't know to much , I'm only 20, and don't know much about engines types so any help will be greatly appericated.

Guest Anonymous

Dear young one, I too was a "true Z" person for years. I spent over 12K on a 240 triing to get the power and feel that I wanted from it. I was never really satisfied even though I could smoke most on the street. It was not until I found this sight That i saw the true Light. A V8 is the ultimate sleeper and can be done for very little money. If you can restrain your self.LOL Once bitten by the V8 bug you can never go back.

icon_sad.gif Sorry about that remark I didn't mean it that way, but I would like to keep my Z with datsun/nissan parts. Please forgive my use of words on the other post i made, but about a V8 z. I am open to the idea, I just want to do that later when I get older. Once again sorry if I offended anyone in this forum, I didn't mean to icon_sad.gif .

Thanks and sorry

If you're not looking to swap in another brand motor that sort of leaves you with the Q45 V8 (undocumented swap) and the L6 motors I think. You've already mentioned the possible willingness to swap in a later model L6. If you're willing to do that I'd urge you to look closely at the ZXT motors. IMO the difference between a 2.4 and a 2.8 s somewhat minimal and if you're going to that trouble to get EFI it might as well be a turbo motor as the work is much the same IMO. The power difference would more than make up for any added plumbing icon_smile.gif

Several folks here have done that swap and yes it does use the same mounts etc. - it's still an L6. Motors are apparently pretty reasonable too depending upon where you live and the going rate. Don't try to swap turbo parts onto a naturally aspirated motor though as there are apparently a pile of strength differences in the turbo motors you'll want (ahem). If you do a search I think you'll find several threads on this swap and I believe at least one member has a good WEB site detailing things to look out for doing the swap. Had I a second Z, time, money, and space I'd certainly consider this swap - right after I'd done a GN swap icon_biggrin.gif

i like the turbo l28et swap, with nitrous of course as my intercooler icon_biggrin.gif

but i cant afford to make an lseries z go anywhere but the dereierre....

it also boils down to your money too, and what your willing to spend to get what, if you dont do any of this work yourself, youre better off with a stock motor with some carb and tuning, and the 280z efi motor doesnt really act that much differently from a carb motor, except the nice cold starting, my 280z be givin me lovin like that. other than that, the hondas run all over my little bone stock 280z, but thats ok, once BIG RED wakes up from hibernation with his non-nissan motor, we gonna show em who the king of import racing really is.

Leonard

proud owner of a "fake" 240z

Well I do want to do the engine swap myself, but I also might have to look to a machanic or machine shop if necessary. So with that I might look into a v8 swap, so leaving options open which V8 motor is good for a z swap, or is it personal preferance? A ZXT motor doesn't sound to bad though, but I was wondering about the horse power on the stock turbo motor and what people have been able to get them to reliably. Thanks again for the info and broadening my thinking.

[ October 16, 2001: Message edited by: Shiin ]