HybridZ

327 or 350

Guest KraZ4spd

Guest Anonymous

If expense is involved go 350. It's a win win situation. If you are not going over 6500 or so the 350 will reward you with torque anf the ability to make power at a lower rpm range. If rev's are the goal or proloned exposure to 4500rpms are a common occurance go with the short stroke. Word of advice, find a large journal 327 crank and use the garden variety 350 block to get your 327, but this will take a little research to find one, but it will be easier in the long run. icon_biggrin.gif

O.K. A third 327 guy to weigh in here.

350. Or bigger icon_biggrin.gif

I do like the 327, and I think the difference between similarly built 327 and 350s would be almost unnoticeable to most people.

It's harder to make reliable power with less cubes. But for the meager target of 350 hp, even a mildish 327 can do that.

On point of practicality. Jason alluded to it: The small journal 327 is harder to get parts for and more expensive. Finding bearings, etc. in stock is a bit more difficult. I've been through this lately, and it will be my last 327. Next time, I'm just going to order a Speedomotive 415 shortblock for ~$1550 and be done with it.

[ October 24, 2001: Message edited by: pparaska ]

It's hard to say without a picture.

Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins book "Chevrolet Racing Engine" has a bunch of good pictures of the small and large journal cranks. Too bad it's out of print.

The other way is to print out the crank part number list hosted at http://www.mortec.com/cranks.htm etc. and take them with you when looking. The cranks have a 4 digit number cast/forged into them on the edge of one of the crank throws.

Note that many including Mortec refer to the 350 crank as "medium journal", because the 400 took over the "large journal" spot later on.

Dang. The obvious thing to do would be to measure the journal. The STD diameters for the Small 327 are 2.0" rods, 2.3" main. The larger (medium journal) cranks are 2.1" rod, 2.45" mains. Vernier calipers are good enough if scrounging around.

[ October 24, 2001: Message edited by: pparaska ]

Guest Anonymous

Just to poke a word on Motec, they have a pretty nice Holley tuning tech info, like what were the original jets from the factory etc. Pretty cool.

Regards,

Lone