HybridZ

Bad compression rules everything around me

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey Zeds,

I'm not new to the world of Z's or this site but this is my first post here. I have a serious problem with compression in my 3rd cyllinder in my '79 280zx (n42 l28e). Basically it was tested at 70psi when the others ran a fine 130. I was told this was due to worn piston rings on that piston, but I figure it could be numerous things icon_confused.gif

Well, replacing the rings on all of my cyls wouldn't be *too* expensive, but I'm kind of a "all or nothing" guy. I'd pretty much want to rebuild my engine if it came to do any major piston/block work. I'd like to pull about ~200 hp out of my zx, I've put on headers and a nice 2.5 exhaust, as well as a whole new intake (cold air k&n, turbo afm, 60mm 240sx tb) which has been a major improvement. Still, with the compression problem, this seems like I'm only trying to make a broken leg run faster. This ZX is my daily driver, but I would consider doing a l28t swap.. if I could find a nice running donor car and do the swap for under 2000 (I'm in college). I have an 88 caravan that is in driveable condition, I use it for an alternate, although it is an absolute bore to drive. icon_wink.gif I would probably have the swap done at a good shop, since I haven't done any major engine work. I'm pretty knowledgeable on cars but I don't have the tools, the time, and the knowhow on rebuilding or swapping everything myself. Also, if I swapped a turbo it would probably be major bucks to do any real performance stuff (new intercooler, controller, bigger turbo.. etc etc. etc.).. so wouldn't I be able to pull a good 200 hp (low 15's, high 14's I'm thinking...?) from my l28 with a good cam, new pistons, a 3.9 diff, plus the mods I've already done..? I've seen the l28 diesel crank stroker kit for 1700 from jcr (I believe he is the original manufacturor, although its sold thru msa, summit, and others).. but wow.. 1700 bucks.. plus shipping, install.. machine work to the engine to prepare for this (3-angle valve job, machining bore) could run well into the 3000 dollar range. That is a lot just to, and not even necessarily, get to the 200 hp mark. The Z is quite driveable in its current condition, so its not absolutely necessary, but I want to take care of this as its crippling my power, horrible idle (if not just killing the engine while it is cold), poor mpg, and burning oil pretty bad. If anybody has any ideas to share, I'm willing. Thanks!

-MAK

'79 280zx