HybridZ

1976 280Z hesitation while revving up, can't WOT

Hey guys,

I just picked up a 1976 Datsun 280Z for 1.2K here in LA, not bad of a find, pretty nice interior everything is there, no cracks in the dash or seats, 5 speed tranny, R200 LSD, A/C, 6-1 Monza Header to straight pipe, has its fair share of rust but nothing too bad for a CA car, 101K miles. Pretty much a nice little find for me since it's my first car, let alone, first Z. 

To begin with, the car was sitting for quite sometime, unknown length of time as the owner had it in storage. When I first got the car, the car wouldn't want to turn over and start, let alone hold idle for about a few seconds or rev up the RPMs, it would just end up dying about 10 seconds later. I did some cleaning, emptied gas tank which he relined about a year ago so there isn't rust inside, changed fuel filter and thats about it for now. Now the engine will turn over and start most of the time without hesitation. Now heres the thing, it seems to idle quite fine and it revs up but it seems really hesitant and pops frequently from the exhaust and I have to slowly bring up the revs, I can't just floor it otherwise it just falls on its face and either runs rough or dies and there seems to be a noticeable air leak in the front of the car but I don't know where it is. So far I've check the fuel pump with a battery and it is running but I'm not sure if its sending the appropriate pressure of 36.3 PSI during idle let alone if its sending enough when the engine is revved up so I need to check but I don't have a fuel pressure gauge on me yet. Also it's not using the original AFM meter either, seems to be off a later model Z since it only has 5 pins instead of 7 pins like on my AFM connector and it doesn't have the fuel cut off switches. There are some loose vacuum hoses for the HVAC that needs to be worked on as well so I don't know if that's a cause for the trouble as well. 

Any tips on what to look for to troubleshoot this? I've been using the FSM and looking on forums but I'm kind of running around in circles. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Or if anyone is near the Long Beach, CA area here in LA and could possibly lend me hand that would also be a HUGE HELP to me! I'm also going to be at the Z car show in Orange later this month so catch me there if I can get it running nice by then.

Thanks for reading, if you have any questions regarding my fiasco please feel free to let me know, I can clarify on some things that seem out of wack. 

post-37075-0-40573900-1365044499_thumb.jpg

post-37075-0-15147000-1365044749_thumb.jpg

Edited by iDev

I'm kind of lost on where the vacuum lines go to, there is this yellow bottle which I'm guessing is a vacuum bottle, then there are a few solenoids. They split into a Y shape piece and go into 3-4 hoses, which two go inside and I think two go with the firewall and hook up somewhere, one was connected to some little pressure pump on the top of the intake by the throttle, maybe choke? and another was just completely severed to which I didn't know where it was supposed to go. I've been looking a HVAC hose diagram but its so pixelated that its a bit hard to read. I'll upload a picture on the site on the hoses and connections. I know the fuel pressure gauge hooks up from the fuel filter before the fuel rail so i'll let you know on the reading.

yellow bottle? On the passanger side? is it copper? that's probably for the AC.

download the Factory service manual from xenons130.com and find the vacuum line diagrams (easier said then done). Read it and follow your lines to make sure they are going to the correct places. 

Edited by BluDestiny

Also after looking around the forums for some time, is there supposed to be some sort of grounding wire for the AFM because I don't seem to find one nor the bolts that go to the afm since the PO took off the AFM. Could this possibly lead to the erratic problems I'm having?

Edited by iDev

In the meantime some ShoeGoo will seal it up if you want to see if it helps resolve the problem at all. Coat the inside if you can reach it, fill the hold with some TP, cover the outside with a bit more ShoeGoo. I've repaired several vacuum leaks like that.