HybridZ

RB20DET vs. 7M-GTE

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm thinking of swapping one of these engines into a 240z, both cost about the same

$1750AUD for the RB vs $2400AUD for the supra engine. The supra engine has 30 more hp, but which would be easier swap? Which would have more (light) modifying potential?

if you can get your hands on a set of z-31 rb-20 mounts from japan any rb motor will bolt right in . add a r-33 gtst 5 spd and front half of teh drive shaft and all you have to do is make tranny mounts everything else is boltin.... the toy engine will be all custom made stuff.

Guest Anonymous

Hey I was thinking about this question as well!

I was considering a 1ggte (twin turbo) supra engine or the 1jzgte. I know the 1ggte can be found sometimes for AUD$1100 in a half cut and has 270nm and around 150kw at the wheels, I have also found a couple of articles on swaps in the early celicas of this engine. It might be a cheaper alternative than the 7mgte, and possibly with an upgrade of the small turbos and a bigger intercooler an easy 200+ Kw at the wheels can be acheived, my aim is just to beat WRX STI's on a cheap back account. If u need any info on the 1jzgte swap I know that there has been a continuing feature of a 240z with his change in the Australian Zoom magazine. It can run 11's quarter miles and has around 200kw at the wheels. Also for the 7mgte if u would like to know costs and so on, there is a place in NSW called Classic Revivals which the owner translplanted a 7m into a 240 and then put a GTO body kit on. That engine is producing 200kw at the engine prolly 160kw at the wheels, but can do 0-100 in 4.9.

The main questions that u would have to ask yurself for these conversions is how much I can aford and wot do I need it for.

If its only to eat up small beefed up fours such as wrx's I would prolly go for the 1ggte, its only a 2.0 ltr and its a twin torbo icon_smile.gif and its cheap!

How ever if its for dragging at the track I would go alll out with a VG30dett or a rb26dett!!!!

Has anyone done the 1ggte conversion in a 280zx in Australia that any one knows of??

Also are the prices u gave in aust including gearbox's and wiring?

and wot state r u in?

Cheers Azzzzzz

Guest Anonymous

yeah they are engine,gearbox and electrics. I'm in adelaide. What car is the 1GGTE from? Is this easier to fit than the 1JZ-GTE? I think the 1JZ is the go on a power to cost ratio, I want to do the swap for as little as possible.

1gg came from the domestic only supra and cressida or variations on those. Is not a bad donk. Built very similar to the 4age and they did a supercharged version as well. This would be your bang for buck solution. The 7m is a lot older and heavyer. Do a search on it. there are heaps of you aussie fellas using them. icon_biggrin.gif

Douglas

[ November 02, 2001: Message edited by: ZROSSA ]

Guest Anonymous

The last supra sold in Australia was the MA70

available with the 7M 3litre turbo'ed or naturally aspirated engine, toyota kept selling this model until 1992.

At the same time in Japan you could get the updated JZA70 version, that had the same body shape but the new twin-turbo'ed 1JZ-GTE engine, which had a displacement of 2.5 litres but also had a power increase to 206kw (30kw up from the old 7M's 176kw)

the twin turbo's also offered great midrange torque, making them feel more 'impressive' to drive.

• 3 weeks later...

This is exactly what I am looking at as well now.

The 1JZGTE seems to be cheaper than the RB25DET, but just as powerful.

The 7MGTE has crossed my mind as well. I am hoping to get away with about $6000AUD to buy my engine and get it running with aftermarket ECU. I will be doing most of the installation myself.

Its still a bit of a toss up though between the 1JZGTE, RB25DET, 7mGTE...decisions decisions

If i were my decision to make it would be the 2jz. This may be a little harder to get in aussie or japan for that matter but, you would get an extra 500cc and mabye a 6 speed box behind it. The nissan and older toyota pail in comparison unless you can get them supper cheap. Oh yeah, IMHO. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Douglas