HybridZ

dashboard and rear lights

I keep my '78 280Z inside all winter.  It started right up and I was checking all the functions and noticed that the dashboard lights and rear lights did not go on when I turned the headlight switch on.  All the other lights including the hazard and side lights work fine.  This sounds like a fuse problem but all the fuses (and the fuse holders) in the main fuse box have continuity.  None of the fuse are labeled for the dash or rear lights.

Is there another fuse box I don't know about?

Check the headlight/TS switch. Right of passage for Z owners. With my two Z cars  failing lights are caused by the headlight/TS switch 98% of the time.

The headlight switch contacts may need to be cleaned/adjusted. Very easy to do.  

Do a search on headlight?TS switch repair.  There are several threads explaining how to repair the headlight switch in the forums.

Also, do a Google search as there are many Z clubs that have written up repair procedures.

There is also a member here and at Classic Z Car named Dave who repairs headlight and turn signal switches.

You should keep extra switches on hand so you can just swap them when your lights start failing. Keep them repaired so you can just plug and play.

My 240Z sat over the winter and the first time I checked the lights they were all out. One of the harness plugs under the steering column had come loose.

Edited by Miles