HybridZ

need some advice lower end rebuilding

PapaSmurf

Hey guys I just wanted to talk a few things out. I bought an f54/p79 combo from a picknpull a few years ago and I've had issues with the thing since I bought it. I haven't been able to get it running for more than a few miles without burning oil and water. First thing I did when I got it home was tear it down clean the valves ported the head mildly replaced gaskets and painted it up so it was pretty. I installed it and it seemed to be OK idling for the first 5 minutes then poof it started burning oil and water like crazy I removed the head and there was oil and water in the cylinders no sign of gasket blow out. I cleaned the head and block surfaces then installed a fresh head gasket and tried it again. Same issue oil and water burning no sign of gasket rupture so I parked it and got distracted for a bit. I figured the head was warped and rings could be stuck. So a few weeks ago I got the extra cash together and had the head resurfaced at a good shop in town. They only removed 6 thousandths and said it was flat - shit. Well I bolted her up again with an eBay gasket and started filling the radiator when water started streaming out between the side of the engine through the head/block seam - this is when I got frustrated and pulled the engine stuck it on a stand and started tearing it down. When I got the head off I found why it was leaking this time the damned eBay gasket didn't cover two water jackets at all! Grr well since its out I'm going to tear it down all the way and try to avoid doing this ever again. I'll get the block resurfaced I noticed some mild pitting around a few water jackets which might be what the issue was. I ordered a honer and rings and rod bearings I'll order main bearings and a good full gasket kit in a few days. I have a few concerns. My crank shaft threads for the damper/pulley are shot and the surface of that side of the crank is a little marred up from the pulley/timing gear/oil flinger as well. I have an l28 block that might have a better condition crank are they interchangeable? Should I get the crank / rods

polished for the new bearings that will put me way back on my budget and I haven't spun any bearings yet so I assume everything should be good - I've heard of people polishing the crank and journals at home with fine sandpaper and a rig is this a bad idea? The machine work is going to hurt my wallet. This is a street car it is for driving to the gas station and tearing up back roads not racing. Any advice for someone whose never torn the block down this far? What can I do to ensure this thing lives a good long life now while its all apart and on the stand?

I ordered std sized rings and bearings from itm I'll measure before final install can't find crank or rod bolts anywhere though I've heard its a good idea to replace them. I need a recommendation for a good full engine gasket set as well this is an 81 f54 block with p79 n/a with flat tops. Tomorrow I'll pull out the crank from the n42 block and see what shape its in. I can't think of anything else. I will never again install an engine blind! Such a pita

As I said this was a blind install I'm not sure what was done to it before I met it. I'm gonna have the block decked/resurfaced before I start reassembling it though. It appears flat but there is some very mild pitting in places that could be causing issues. It may just be burning so much oil that the smoke is white and blue perhaps the rings will fix this IFK the hone marks are gone from the cylinders and there are vertical lines in them so I assume the rings are about done. Doesn't seem like rings could cause such drastic oil burning. I was told the engine sat 20 years in a wherehouse so the pick pull guys assumed it was running when pulled they gave me a 30 day warranty lol that expired two years ago