HybridZ

Performance Ignition Ideas, Suggestions Sought

Guest Willieboy240z

Guest Willieboy240z

Xmas is coming and I have been asked to supply a list of goodies for my mostly stock L24 Z w/SUs. I thought I would upgrade the ignition soon, so this is a great time to get performance ignition squared away.

I am already planning a GM 100+ alternator.

Have stock 240z distributor in need of rebuilt. May swap it for newer model or ???

Definitely want electronic ignition. MSD? Crane? Other?

Any suggestions on Electronic Ignition Kit? Coil? Plug wires? etc?

THANKS for your Suggestions.

I ran a Pertronix ignitor for 7 years on my last 240 and put one on my current car as well. Just after the warranty expired, burned it up doing a cranking compression test. Pisser. Options are a complete distributor/box swap from a newer car, single pickup distributor with GM HEI module, Crane or Stinger conversion for points distributor, or Mallory Unilite distributor. The Mallory is really expensive, but gives you the advantage of a fully adjustable advance curve without brazing and filing. I'm not sure if you can buy the Mallory with a magnetic pickup and run an MSD, but that would be my first choice.