HybridZ

six speed cars help

Guest nosz350

Guest nosz350

i'm needing to know what bell housing work best(stock or after market) and also what about a starter, flywheel, and cluth?? and have you broke many rear end parts with the 6 speed?

Umm, what motor?

In my case I used a regular SBC, stock 93-96(?) bellhousing (not LS1!), OEM replacement style clutchpressure plate from Jeg's or Summit (NOT the high dollar unit!), stock slave with a modified hose, starter was the Jeg's listed CVR that works MUCH better than the LT1 unit, my flywheel is the Centerforce SFI unit ($$).

If you've got an older style crank you'll have to use theCenerforce flywheel, if you've got a one piece oil seal crank from the later LT1s then the regular LT1 flywheel will work (I've got one BTW). Note that my stroker crank had the OLDER style flywheel mount but it's in a later style one piece oil seal block icon_rolleyes.gif THAT was an unpleasant surprise...

'zat help? If you've got questions or if I wasn't clear somewhere let me know.

Oh, I've broken NO rear ends but snapped one Spicer Ujoint that I think was defective. I'm moving to CVs soon icon_smile.gif The 6speed doesn't make things terribly hard on the rear unless you get nasty with it.

Guest Anonymous

"I'm needing to know what bell housing work best(stock or after market) and also what about a starter, flywheel, and cluth??"

Bellhousings are limited to two patterns as far as I know, LT1 type, or after 97 the LS1 type, I havn't seen a aftermarket T56 bellhousing, but someone may be offering one I don't know about.

Flywheel is as Blkmgk mentioned, if you have a early chevy (pre-87), the centerforce is as far as I know one of the only choices. If its a motor after 87 (one piece rear main), then the stocker would work, or centerforce sells the one for later cars as well.

Clutch is offered by many companies, just buy a clutch for a 93-97 camaro/firebird with the T56 and you'll be done with that. Some really like the centerforce dual friction, but it is almost 500.00, I went with a Ram clutch that was just slightly better than stock replacement at about 300.00 for through out bearing, disk and pressure plate.

Starter, depends on the motor. If its got high compression, then you'll need something heavy duty, maybe a gear reduction (chevy's version is nearly 300.00, aftermarket about 150.00+). I used a mid 80's camaro starter that was a medium duty starter, it works fine in my application, plus available at most Kragen's icon_biggrin.gif, was about 50 bucks + small core charge. Do make sure and get a 'manual' transmission starter if you use a factory type starter. Believe it or not they're different. The manual one has a longer nose and will engage, the automatic one will fit, but will just spin and not hit the flywheel.

Thats about it in a nutshell, you can see from the above why everyone complains about how expensive it gets running a T56, but it is a sweet, nice shifting transmission. Its gearing is a little low in the first two gears IMHO, that was because of the F-body (camaro) being a pig and needing the leverage to push that barge up to speed. Third gear rocks real good though. icon_smile.gif To give you an idea, the other day I actually pulled away from a stop in 3rd gear, surprised me, but it pulled without lurching or bucking. Gears closer to 3.25 IMHO would be more preferable (I have 3.54 gearing), give you more speed in 1st and 2nd. Hope that helps.

Regards and good luck,

Lone

Hrm, LT1 starter is same manual or auto - I asked for an LT1 starter and it engaged but I had trouble shimming it. It also didn't want to hot start on my motor. I got sick of this and got the CVR starter for half the cost of the LT1 unit. The LT1 unit will hit E-bay soon, nothing wrong with it...

RAM clutch, same as what I used. Oh, I used the B&M shifter and it's worked out well. I have the stock POS in the garage somewhere if someone has a burning urge.

My biggest point about the flywheels was that even though you may have a one piece rear seal block if you use a stroker crank you MAY end up with the older style flywheel mount on it icon_sad.gif My Eagle crank was like this - I was pissed! The Centerforce unit IS SFI though. There are no aftermarket bellhousings for this trans or blowshields icon_eek.gif Someone makes a blanket for it though icon_rolleyes.gif

I only wish I knew much about 3rd gear. The second T56 I've got has a bad synchro on that gear and I double clutch 4th too. It was cheap compared to the first one that was nuked though - I'll get it fixed this Winter so I can enjoy it come Spring icon_smile.gif

Guest chevsun

If you really want to spend money do like I did and go with a Mcleod Pressure plate and the street twin clutch that has 2 10" clutch disks for the sum of around $950. This setup does not slip but I have had some universal breakage and will be upgrading to cv halfshafts. I am very hard on my car but I think the stock universals will hold up fine if you control the "Squat" on hard launches Just my .02 Steve