HybridZ

82 ZX Dash lights flashing on and off, Volt meter Jumping Around etc.

So today i made a trip to a relatives house in my 82 ZX, going through a tunnel, straight shot, and all of the sudden all of my dash lights come on, and my voltage drops to 12-13 volts on the meter. Car is still running 4th gear 40-45mph. after 10-15 seconds, the dash lights go off, but the volt meter still reads low, like the Alternator isnt charging. A minute or so after the Dash lights go off, the Volt meter reads normal (14-15 volts). Throughout the rest of the trip this happens randomly, sometimes the dash lights just flicker for a second when the volts drop, sometimes they dont flicker on at all when the volts drop. Checked all connections that i could, and they all seem tight and secure. Alternator was replaced 10k miles ago by previous owner. No belt slipping when volts drop. Could there be a short somewhere? Bad ground?

All input is appreciated.

Thanks for the input! Thats really interesting. I always thought that when an alternator was going bad, it would overcharge the battery, or start seizing up... What could have caused this? Its a pretty new one after all...

Most alternators will not charge when bad . Overcharged condition is rare . Bad voltage regulator is most likely the caused . It's not a good idea to have an overcharged condition , I have seen fried electrical system due to overcharging ( exploding headlight bulbs ) .

I have the same problem all the dash light come on but my volt meter stays the same could it be the same thing? And how long do i have until it fully goes out?

If your alternator is not charging then it could stop running at anytime . If dash lights are on and voltmeter shows 12v or less while engine is running then you need to check your charging system . Check with FSM for testing .

If your alternator is not charging then it could stop running at anytime . If dash lights are on and voltmeter shows 12v or less while engine is running then you need to check your charging system . Check with FSM for testing .

The alternator is charging and its always showing around 14v with the dash lights still on. To add another thing while im stopped sometimes the dash light will go off but if i hit the brake pedal they will come back on or they come on and off over bumps