HybridZ

No spark, maybe condenser.

Hey, I just repainted my engine bay and reinstalled my first engine in my 76 280z. I was feeling proud of my self when it was cranking, but for some reason I cannot get spark.  Ive been staring at wiring diagrams all day. I cannot find a problem. The only thing that seems fishy to me is the condenser. The reason I say this is that i tested for continuity and it failed. My knowledge of condensers is low so i studied up on them and supposedly they absorb the energy. Is this why the continuity test is failing? I tried starting it without the condenser, the wires got really hot while cranking it for less than four seconds. What other ways can i test the condenser? 

The 76 280Z has electronic ignition and therefor does not have a condensor, at least not for the same reason breaker point ingitions do. The part you are refering to is most likely a capacitor to suppress noise that interfers with radio reception. The car should run fine without it. You wires are getting hot for a different reason. Which wires are getting hot?

A condensor is an old timey name for a capcitor. A good capacitor will not have any continuity when tested for DC continuity. Use an ohmeter on a high range to test the capacitor for resitance. I should measure infinity. It should also take moment for the reading to stabilize while the reading ramps from a low reading to a high reading.

Since you have just repainted your engine compartment perhaps you now have paint on a point where a ground lug is connected to the car body. Paint will act as an insulator and can cause a bad connection. Make sure to remove the paint under all ground lugs or terminals.

So the capacitor is doing exactly what beermanpete said it should on the multimeter. I guess Ill just keep chasing down the grounds. I want to say it was the wire that the capacitor was removed from getting hot, but it could have been others too.