HybridZ

transmission tunnel and floorpan heat shielding?

thedarkie

Can anyone recommend a product? I found this in an old thread, but would like other suggestions as well..

http://www.designengineering.com/category/catalog/dei-cycle/insulating-materials/floor-tunnel-shield-ii-heat-sound-insulation

Not concerned with sound deadening, just heat specifically. Also curious whether it's better to attack this from the interior side, or from under the car? Would exhaust wrap also be of much help? 

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, drove the car a few times since and in a bit of traffic and I can say there's a noticeable improvement. The tunnel and ashtray used to be hot to the touch, they're now "warm".

If access was easier or I spent more time wrapping even more exhaust and insulating the entire tunnel, it would be even better. But for the work done, I think this is just enough to keep my ass from frying completely on hot days. I basically wrapped both exhausts from the header to behind the seats, as that's where they're closest to the body. I put adhesive mat about 10" high into the tunnel, so the top of the tunnel around the transmission is still bare. Tight spot. 

The self-adhesive heat shield from DEI was kinda a let down.. it didn't adhere too well on anything but a perfectly smooth surface. I think I'll have to go back under with some spray adhesive to finish the job, which is what I should've used in the first place. Live and learn. 

Edited by thedarkie

I wrap all of the exhaust on my dirt bikes.  The result is changing from a pipe that will melt your synthetic riding pants or boiling your flesh on contact into a pipe you can briefly touch with your bare hand.  Wrapping is great, some people are concerned with rusting but that hasn't been a problem in my experience.  My Z isn't wrapped yet (low on the priority list) but i do have sound deadening/heat resistant material on the interior side of the car including the tranny tunnel and its a massive difference in noticeable heat.  I put my cell phone in the ashtray area and before the heat shielding that area was hot enough to force the phone to shut down and be hot to the touch, now its just a bit warm.

I wrap all of the exhaust on my dirt bikes.  The result is changing from a pipe that will melt your synthetic riding pants or boiling your flesh on contact into a pipe you can briefly touch with your bare hand.  Wrapping is great, some people are concerned with rusting but that hasn't been a problem in my experience.  My Z isn't wrapped yet (low on the priority list) but i do have sound deadening/heat resistant material on the interior side of the car including the tranny tunnel and its a massive difference in noticeable heat.  I put my cell phone in the ashtray area and before the heat shielding that area was hot enough to force the phone to shut down and be hot to the touch, now its just a bit warm.

Yep the cell phone in the ashtray is a good indicator. I didn't have mine shut down, but the ashtray was unpleasantly hot. Now it's just warm. 

I kinda wish I had just done the wrap first before also doing the reflective adhesive mat; something tells me that the wrap is responsible for most of the improvement. 

Edited by thedarkie