HybridZ

2.8L Build Up

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

As I'm nearing the completion of my V8 (if there is such a thing) My brother wants to rebuild his stock '75 inliner with just a little more punch. Given around $500-$600 what are some intial things to consider buying? New injectors/cam... toss around some good ideas for us. Thanks, Matt

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like you didn't get much of a response, so maybe I can give you some ideas. First off, a '75 L28 isn't a performer because it doesn't have much of a c.r. Bang for the buck, you'll get a lot from increasing it. Either swap the shortblock from your N42 to an F54 from an '81-'83 280ZX (or just the piston/rods). Better yet, get a set of '73-on L24 rods (9mm bolts), have your L28 dished pistons machined to take the rim down to the same plane as the dish (make them flat-tops), and put it together. That way you not only bump compression ratio up to about 10:1, you also improve the rod/stroke from 1.65 to 1.69.

You'll need to richen up the fuel supply if you increase compression, and weakening the AFM flap spring slightly and add some resistance to the water temp sensor circuit to the CPU (change the 195 to 180 thermostat also). So far you haven't spent alot of money and may be able to improve the exhaust flow with some of the rest.

There is another approach (which purists won't like) and that is to leave the internals of your 8.3:1 L28, with rectangular exhaust ports, stock and put on a turbo/exhaust manifold, injectors, cyl head temp sensor, knock sensor, and turbo CPU and harness. You'd have to make this a low-pressure turbo system (ala Volvo approach), but compared to a stock '75 L28...night and day difference.

DAW