HybridZ

L24/L28 Engine setup advice wanted

bfg

I'll begin by saying I currently have a 1975 280z with a stock N42 block and head.

120414_0902_zps29e8e0ea.jpg

My original intentions when I bought the car was to run the L28 until it died and eventually put a V8 into it (mainly because it sounded like a cool idea). However, last fall I visited a shop here in Boston that used to deal with Z cars and came upon a spare L24. I'm not sure which block it has but it definitely has an E31 head.

IMG_20130326_121533_427_zps6f3100bc.jpg

IMG_20130326_121544_667_zpsc5dc6440.jpg

I haven't been able to bring it to my garage yet but I'm hoping it will be in my possession fairly soon. On top of those two engines I also have an E88 head that I could potentially use.

Here are my current goals for the car and this is where I need advice:

-I want it to be a street car, probably a few autocross events here and there but not much, if any, racing as this is my first manual car.

-I think being around 200hp would be nice.

-I will probably be road tripping with it a lot.

-I should mention this is a long term project as I am graduating college soon and money will be scarce.

I was originally thinking I could rebuild the L24 with the E31 head and put triple carbs on it but I was told that is more of a racing set up. I really like the look and sound of triples though. The other issue is that if I have a higher compression engine I will have to use higher octane gas which is not ideal for an affordable road trip.

Another option is to rebuild the engines separately. Example: rebuild L24/E88 then swap it into the car. Then Rebuild L28/E31 and swap it again, which can be applied to whichever setup I want to end up with.

I just need some advice on which combination would work best for my needs. Being a long term project, money isn't a real issue as I don't mind waiting until I can save up for parts like triple carbs and such. 

Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say!

Ryan

Given your two engines L24 & L28, this might be an interesting read: http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-s30/42488-new-engine.html

Essentially he built a L28 block, L24 crank and rods, with flat-top pistons.  Another useful link as you ponder your engine combo might be: http://www.ozdat.com/ozdatonline/enginedesign/

Regarding 200hp...you should read the thread "Max N/A hp, no shortcuts" in the FAQ section, under the L6/engine sub-forum.  That might give you an idea of what goes into a N/A build...Zredbaron went a lot further than what you're talking about, but it should still give you some insight.  200hp isnt a super lofty goal, but there are certainly cheaper ways to get there...and I know after I finished school, money wasnt something I had a lot of.

I would disagree with triples being a racing specific set-up...they work fine for me on the street.  However, it wasnt exactly the cheapest project...with all the "while I'm at it" side projects, I spent quite a bit of money.  My triple install thread is here: http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/112810-weber-dcoes-installed-initial-impressions/

Good luck and happy reading.

Stock L28ET, Eurospec with proper fuel calibration and the stock .82AR Hotside turbine was 200HP...

If you want that at the wheels, bump the boost and add a bit of fuel, no I/C needed, road trip to your heart's content!