HybridZ

Body Shop Questions in general (will take recommendations in the MA area)

xxjoeyxxeb

I've been asking around some places to get my Z painted. Overall the car is in good condition with 3-4 noticeable dents, 2 rust spots that can be replaced by patch cutting from a rocker panel replacement, and obviously would need to be blocked smooth. Not painting the engine bay, but will be doing the jambs since I will be changing the color to a darker shade of green. Been getting most quotes averaging $8-10k around the Boston area as far as Rhode Island border. All companies have know the condition and know that I already will have the trim and windows out so they can start work. Just got an email from a guy saying $2500-3000 for the complete job. I'm a little concerned of that extremely low offer and e-mailed him with detail of the bodywork and process I am hoping to verify he made the right estimate. If he is still low, are there any safe guards to protect the quote? I'm a little worried they could end up saying $4000+ when its done, rendering the quote useless and possibly creating a tough situation. I know paint estimate are usually low so I'd expect 500-1000 more, but if it ended up being a lot more...

On another note, anyone have recommendations of where to get bodywork/paint done within 45 mins of the Boston area?

Generally if you get a written quote and have some sort of agreement written up and signed before hand that should cover you for any expenses afterwards . Also if possible I would talk with people who have had work done at this shop before and see what their experience was. 

In AL, a written quote can vary up to 30% of charged price. With that being said, I would only use a well known and established business. There are some people who do really good work, but the only way you'll be guaranteed is by dealing with a certified shop. I have 11 years experience in this business. Here in Al, what you're needing could be done nicely for around $4500.