HybridZ

Removing Hydralic Pivots

Len

I wanted to remove my hydralic pivots on my 1983 280 ZXT P-90A head. There are a few losing pressure and clicking. Was wondering; Is there a way to remove the rocker arms to unscrew pivots without having to remove the whole cam? I thought about maybe using large screwdriver to compress valve spring enough to remove rocker arms. But was afraid I might crack the black caps on top of valve spring (look plastic). Any ideas.

Also I am retorking my head to the required 65lbs. I torked all 14 as shown below. Except I noticed four (what look like) bolts, that are the same size as the head allen bolts in oil collection valley of head. See below they are located where I "X'ed" (head bolts are the numbers which is also tightening sequence. What are these x'es?

14 10 6 2 4 8 12

X X X X

13 9 5 1 3 7 11

Thanks for any info.

Len

Len, yes, you can just use a large screwdriver to pry the valve springs down. Just be careful not to damage the cam when doing it (probably goes w/out saying). I have done it a number of times. Your torque sequence looks to be by the book as well. As far as the four allen head looking things...I've wondered what those are as well. They appear to be just plugs...

Thanks Z-Gad for the reply. I had my tork wrench all ready to put the 65lbs. on those plugs real good! I'm glad I was able to control myself!!!!!!ha.

Those black caps on top of valve springs, in a moment of insanity, I thought they were plastic. I know better. I replaced four of those Hydralic pivots. Started car, ran it 10 min. at 1000 rpm. Drove about 10 miles. The new (2nd hand) ones are making more racket than the ones I had replaced! I remember squeezing them and those four squished about a 1/4 inch. So maybe they have air in them. I will call Z barn where I purchased them to see what ideas they have. If you have further input any would be appreciated!

Thanks

Len