HybridZ

Fuel issue - 77 280z

RangerWill

On my way to an autox this past Sunday and didn't make it. I got about 20 miles into a 60 mile trip to the heli pad near Dothan, AL. Lost 70% power and started pouring white smoke out of the tail pipe. Pulled over and popped the hood. Engine continued to run but, poorly. I smelled the smoke that was white have you and it smelled of straight gas.

I inspected all my connections and leads. I have a ISK fuel rail with gauge and it showed normal pressure. I pulled the all the injector connectors with no change in the 6th,5th, and 4th cylinder with the 6th being closest to the firewall. Ran the motor for awhile trying to determine the issue.

I have my fuel pump on a hot switch. I switched it off and the pressure immediately falls to zero and kills the motor. Under normal circumstances it take 10 secs or so for any change to accur once I shut the fuel pump off. Which leads me to believe it's drowning the motor in fuel.

After 20mins or so on the side of the HWY it starts to run normal again. So I turned around to head home. No autox for me. Thought the issue was gone not knowing what it was to begin with. After 10 miles or so same issue came back. Exactly the same.

Been crazy busy at work(20 hr days) and haven't had time to look into the issue. Hopeing you guys could steer me towards the source of this issue. Thanks.

You said no change when you pulled the leads of injectors 4-6, which implies there was a change on 1-3.

With the info provided, I'd guess pulling 1-3 improved the situation, and if each one had the same impact,

I would be looking at the dropping resistors and wire harness between them and the injectors looking for a

short to ground.

If only one made any difference then I'd check that injector to see if it was stuck open. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...