HybridZ

P90A Hydros convert to non-hydros?

Guest DATTO

Guest DATTO

hey all

heres my question, i have a p90a with hydraulic lifters...is it possible to put in lifters from an 81-83 N/A car? ill be running the p90a turbo cam. are most parts interchangable? i just want my head non-hydraulic valves, i would buy another turbo head but the one i have has already been ported and hot tanked and re-surfaced and i dont wanna waste what i already have and turbo heads are somewhat rare in the pick n pull yards. thanks all for your time

mike

you can convert the hydraulic head to mechanical. You just have to romove the hydraulic lifters, and replace them with mechanical. You may have to helicoil the holes for the mechanical lifters, since I am not sure whether or not they have the same diameter. I talked with my local Z guru and considered this before I decided to stick w/ hydraulics...

Guest DATTO

hey all

thanks for the comments, i just got a solid lifter p90 head to play with from a friend of mine. it doesnt have anything but still has the pivots, ill go ahead and measure them both (the p90a and p90) and see if there is any difference.

by the way havok

how much are you letting the head go for, just curious for future planning

thanks

From what I've found the only problem with the Hydralic Pivots is access to replacement Pivots. I bought second hand replacements $15 each at Zbarn. Don't know if you can change out to solid manual adjustable pivots. Oil flows up underneath the pivot into little hole above threaded portion of pivot. Not sure if it travels thru Hydralic Pivot once its pumped up and excess flows out the top to lube rockers? This question of changing Hydro to manual has been asked before. Don't remember final consences/opinion. But I'd make sure before any trial and error. :Dsmile.gif:rolleyes::cool::D

Len