HybridZ

Confused about MS2 assembly. ( Resolved )

Heroez

From http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/how_to_megasquirt_your_280zx_turbo.htm

Looks like you need the igbtout to ign.

• Build the ECU up to trigger from the Hall/Optical Input (all of my MS230-C units are by default configured this way).
  • The only change is to enable the IGBT High Current Ignition Coil Driver Circuit to directly drive the coil.

That's it!

• Remove the jumper from JS10 to IGN (if exists)
    • Jumper IGBTIN to JS10
    • Jumper IGBTOUT to IGN

Can also find generic information here. http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/vb921.htm

Edited by loy

Photo768_zps39379eba.jpg (Sorry about the blurry here.) Thanks for the links. Ok, got it. It was right in front of my face. Somehow I was confusing JS10 with IGN. I was like, why am I making a jumper from in and out... to IGN? Lol! Edited by Heroez

Hmm. According to the link for the l28 turbo instruction, mine is different. I still have c12 and c30 in place as you see in picture 1, and I hadnt done the rest of that stuff. Man, what did I do... Now Im more confused. Why did the general assembly instructions leave that out? Ok, C12 and C30 are at the end of instructions 50.a. As if Im going to 'use the negative side of the coil to trigger megasquirt, (ie you are not using ignition timing control') Is this where I went wrong? I thought ignition timing control is good, an advantage, right?

Edited by Heroez

If Im not controlling timing, then Im not going to retard under boost, or advance? I would be locked at whatever initial timing the distributor was set to? I guess what I need to find out is- What are the pros and cons of controlling or not controlling timing. I assume controlling timing is better. Can you help clarify this?

I was going to use the stock 83 turbo distributor and the DIY trigger wheel for now and later go to a crank trigger and use a ford 6x coil pack to delete the distributor and its moving parts. Thanks for your help. Im going to follow the instructions in the link for the l28et. Did you use that guide? I dont see any reason to trigger MS off the negative side of the coil and not control timing... Why would anyone do that?

Edited by Heroez

I dont see any reason to trigger MS off the negative side of the coil and not control timing... Why would anyone do that?

The standard code running on MS1 doesn't support spark control. It was added later with Megasquirt 'n Spark Extra and MS2.

MS is all about flexibility, if you want to MS on a lawn mower, you might want to skip ignition control.

I'm not very familiar with MS2, but I've built several MS1 v3 boards. Looking at DIY's instructions, it seems pretty simple. Just build the MS2 ecu like normal with jumpers setup for Hall/Optical and then make the few changes DIY list for controlling the spark output.

You'll have a lot more to learn when you decide to go to coils and a wheel decoder. It's pretty simple to get the car running with the stock distributor and coil.

Thats what I need right now, simple. Its a lot to take in all at once for me. I still have to learn the tuning software and propper values for the tables, which seems like an even bigger mountain to climb. Luckily a member here sent me their tune file which is close to what I need. Some changes here and there is all that is needed. I wouldnt even attempt this if it wasnt for the forums and help from you guys. Its cool how strong we are, and what we can do, when we pull together as a team.

I dont have the DIY trigger wheel yet. I was going to order it along with some other things I need like IAT sensor, and whatever else. I have to make a list. Looks like the only mods left is whats on the page for the DIY trigger wheel. I will have to go through some baggies and see if there is a 1k resistor in there, for that wire.

Mine is now working well, Heroe. I just followed the mega manual assembly instructions and then, went to the DIY site and modded for the l28et. I still haven't timed it, but it's fueling plenty right now on Cygnusx1's newest map and I've cranked it up with a set base timing of 10° and @ 18° advance. I need to round up a buddy to grab a timing light to fine tune the base timing, but it shows exactly as commanded. I prolly just need to adjust the trigger angle some. But here's a success story for ya.. I had never soldered on a board nor did I buy the stem for the MS. I checked voltages and grounds as I went and checked the communication with my laptop before I hooked it up and all was good. The only major hangup I had was loading the MSExtra firmware on the board with Windows 7, but you won't have to worry about that anyway. I'm just figuring the tuning part out, so I'm right there with ya! Lol

That is great news Matt! I figured you would have been done by now, but I now see how the delays can really stack up. Are you using the stock distributor and stock CAS to trigger MS? Do you have a photo of the board to share? I would like to see what others have done. Funny that I have a timing light because I cant see the marks when I try. I dont know if its my eyes, or if I need a major refresh on the marking. Maybe white out will work. Lol.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing. Basically, all it's doing is taking the 'on/off' signal from the CAS and sending a trigger to the coil to fire and an injection each time it triggers. Here's my board. Disreguard a couple of the jumpers to JS3. That's how I modded for a fan relay control. (Another reason I shoulda gone with MS2.) But you should be able to see the ignition output pretty well. 

post-31622-0-73420900-1371687309_thumb.jpg

post-31622-0-31903800-1371687319_thumb.jpg